Chapter 40: The Things I Can Lose

Dave
The City

I walked into the Def Jam building going up to the elevator and pushing the button

I walked into the Def Jam building going up to the elevator and pushing the button. Once it came I got on going to the marketing floor. I looked around because Bernice said she got a new office as part of her promotion. I walked up to where I recognized her old secretary. I guess she got promoted too. "Are you looking for Mrs. Burgos? Go right in, Dave." I nodded my head going up to the door that read Bernice Burgos, Director of Marketing. It's funny seeing her last name on things such as this, considering the circumstance. I turned the knob to see her new office.

Bernice was sitting behind her desk on the phone while Malachi was jumping on the couch, Aurora was sitting on the floor playing with toys like the good baby she is and some woman sitting in the chair in the corner

Bernice was sitting behind her desk on the phone while Malachi was jumping on the couch, Aurora was sitting on the floor playing with toys like the good baby she is and some woman sitting in the chair in the corner. "Get off that damn couch jumping like that!" I yelled at Kai. He quickly turned his attention towards me jumping down coming to me hugging me.

"Sorry!" Were the first words to fly out of his mouth.

"Sorry I caught you or sorry because you know better?" He was only doing it because he knew Bernice wasn't paying attention. That's why I came to get them as soon as I could because I know they're distracting her from work.

"Uhh, I'm sorry for both." He said scratching his head. I chuckled because that wasn't the right answer or even an option.

"No, you're supposed to be sorry because you know better. Go get your things," I said walking over to Aurora standing over her as she played. "Ro!" She continued to play as I called her name. She'll ignore the fuck out of you if you let her. I kneeled down getting in her face. "I know you hear me, rudeness!"

She mushed my face pushing it back with her little strong ass. "Move, daddy! Too cwose!"

"Too close, huh?" I said before I knocked over her house made out of blocks she was building. Aurora is already a tomboy thanks to me and Kai. She hates playing with dolls. She rather play with blocks and toy cars. Bernice says anytime she tries to put her in a dress or a skirt she starts crying. That's my fault because I dress her like a little boy. I don't know anything else or any other way, so I do my best. "How about that?" I said standing up.