Chapter 9: Home is People

Dave
The Next Morning

DaveThe Next Morning

(Dave & his Dad)

I woke up doing my hygiene thing then going to the living room. I could see my Pop's still asleep on the couch hanging off of it with a trash can next to him. I shook my head going to the kitchen grabbing the Advil out of the cabinet. I poured out two then grabbed a glass filling it with water. I'm still trying to figure out how he got drunk at a two year old kids party. Only my Pop's. I went over kicking him. He groaned then finally opened his eyes. He looked up at me squinting. "Take these," he sat up taking them. I sat on the other couch across from him.

"What happened last night? I just remember leaving the party going to your mom's. We were off that good drank having a good ol' time, but that's it." He asked rubbing his temples.

"Well, you got drunk. Apparently you wanted that old thing back, but ma wasn't having it. You started singing Teddy Pendergrass and wouldn't leave, so I had to come get you." I said laughing remembering him on his knees singing out his heart to her when I arrived.

He shook his head probably ashamed of himself. "I don't know why your momma is playing with me. She knows she wants to get back together. She would've been done sent me the divorce papers. It's been a year in a half, like c'mon!"

"Let's be real Pop's you shouldn't have did what you did. You just gotta give her time to heal and forgive you. And let's be honest y'all aren't even trying to fix it. Just running from it like y'all some little kids. You guys need to go to counseling or something."

"I don't need to pay somebody to be in my business just to tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm wrong. I'm trying to fix it, but your mom, man. One minute she acts like everything is all good letting me back in the house, the next she's putting me out."

"You know how ma is. She gets over it then pops up out of nowhere yelling about it again," I said lightly chuckling. "You know what? I'm not done AND you know what else!" I said mimicking her. My dad laughed along with me.

"Janice, my Janice." He said shaking his head. "Love that woman with all my heart I just fucked up, bad! One day you'll understand, son."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You're married now. You and Bernice are gonna go through some shit. You just have to get through it and fight for it. Marriage isn't easy. You have to work for it."

"I know that, but I'm never gonna cheat on B. That's not even a thought. Look at her. Does it get any better than her? Not in my eyes."

"Don't eat your words, son...Enough of this emotional talk. You got some tree? I'm tryna light up!"

I laughed. "Yeah, but we gotta smoke on the balcony. Bernice don't play that smoking in the house."