Chapter 32: Healing Drugs

Bernice
Lower Manhattan Hospital

I fluttered my eyes open to the harsh white lights of a hospital room

I fluttered my eyes open to the harsh white lights of a hospital room. I looked around observing everything around me. I was hooked up to a machine, I had an IV fluid in my arm, the tv was playing Dr. Phil, a lady was sitting in the corner chair watching me, and Dave was in the chair next to me asleep. "Dave! Dave!" I said hitting him trying to wake him up.

He smacked his lips, but eventually opened his eyes. He rubbed his eyes saying, "What, B? You should be sleeping. Like I was doing," he mumbled the last part under his breath.

"There's some weird ass white lady watching me," I whispered to him.

Dave looked between me and the lady then said to her, "Can you step out for a second, so I can talk to her?" She nodded then got up leaving.

"Who was that?"

"Suicide watch."

"Suicide watch?! I don't need no fucking suicide watch!" I said loudly sitting up in the bed.

"Bernice, they found you in a bath tub last night unconscious. You've been mad depressed about the baby-"

"Angelo," I corrected while twiddling with my fingers looking at them.

He sighed. "Yes, Angelo. You've been depressed, so they assumed you tried to commit suicide."

"I wasn't trying to kill myself. I just took too much of my depression medication and too much of my sleeping pills. It must've been a bad combination. I guess I must've fell asleep in the tub."

"Depression medication? Since when did you start taking that? Who prescribed that to you?!" He said irritated. This is exactly why I didn't tell him.

Dave doesn't believe in prescription medication or even the pharmacy industry. He believes everything can be fixed naturally. He believes that all prescription drugs are just that, drugs you get addicted to and rely on to function. I agree with him. The pharmacy industry really is just formulated to make money, but some thing's are beyond you. I just wanted to feel numb. Since I haven't been going to the babies doctors appointments I wonder if he got her vaccinated.

"Dave, I-" he didn't even let me finish.

"So, this is why you've been sleeping all day, won't get up or go out, or even take care of your baby. Those things have you all chemically imbalanced. That's why you can't function normally. They're clearly not helping. You're not taking those anymore."

"Okay," I said not wanting to argue back. "When can I go home?"

"Today."