Chapter 39: On Air

Bernice

I sat at Angela Yee's radio station The Lip Service sitting next to Dave. At first when she asked us to do another interview with her together we said no. We didn't get it. We're no longer together. But she said she wanted to ask some questions about being married in the industry. Plus, me and him both have things we want to promote. This should be interesting considering this show is about sex and relationships. What me and Dave now have is pure friendship. I haven't looked at him in that way in a long time. Except the night of his birthday when I was drunk, according to him. There's something about alcohol...That doesn't count though.

"I'm Angela Yee and this is the Lip Service. Right now we have rapper, Dave East and Def Jam Marketer, Bernice Burgos." We said our greetings then she went on to say, "I tried to get you guys up here when you were together, but you kept turning it down. I'll settle for this because you guys still have a very interesting dynamic. Obviously you're not together, but along with co-parenting you still work together. Does that ever get tricky? Having to be around each other so much.."

Dave and I both looked at each other to see who would answer. I let Dave go ahead as he said, "Naw. In my opinion it made things better. Being that we had to be around each other it made us put all the other shit aside. I can genuinely say we're best friends again."

"Now you hear all of the time people saying they could sleep with their baby mother or father anytime they want. You constantly see a guy who has a girlfriend, but is still messing around with his baby mother. Now I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but do you believe that?"

"No. I think that's just a matter of wanting to move on with your life. If a dude has a baby mother who they can smash anytime that's on them. I think our situation is different because I'm the one who's moved on in a relationship and he isn't. Even if I wanted to, I can't confidently say if I wanted the dick again he would give it to me," I said chuckling.

"It's not even about respecting each others relationships. It's about respecting ourselves and each other. What would I look like reducing myself from once being her husband to a side nigga? I'm not with it," Dave added.

"Now, Bernice you're in a relationship. Another industry guy, but behind the scenes. He works for Nas' label, Mass Appeal Records, who Dave is also signed to. Did you make a decision to not date another entertainer?"

"No, I never look at a guy's occupation and make a decision on whether or not I'm going to date him based on that. It's just something that happens."

"Do you think all entertainers cheat considering the lifestyle?"

"No. That's like me saying all men cheat. I haven't dated every man or every entertainer. I've only dated 3. Two out of the three cheated on me and that's all I can say. I'm just not like all these other females who's just going to accept it. A lot of women in this lifestyle will say well he has money, he treats me right, but he might cheat on me. I'm okay with that. I wouldn't say it's stupid, but it's not me."

"Do you blame the industry for you guys relationship not working?"

"Not necessarily. If a man gets on that alter and says I do he's saying I want to be with you and only you for the rest of my life. I do blame the hip-hop culture for the whole groupie aspect. If a bitch is in your face knowing your married throwing ass, titties and pussy in ya face, what you gonna do? These chicks hold messing up a home as a prize because they know these men are weak. This goes back to women allowing it. These men think they'll never get left."

"Shit, I got left. Rightfully so," Dave said seriously but we laughed.

"Women I know who date rappers will have rules. Use protection. No kissing, too intimate. Kick them out right after. Don't have sex with the same chick more than once. Don't let me hear it in the streets. Tell me first. Like what?" I said mockingly laughing. "Do you really think a nigga's going to shoot you a text right before. Hey, babe! I'm about to cheat. She was too bad to pass up. See you when I get home. Kissy face emoji. Get the fuck outta here," I said waving nobody in particular off.