~14~

Lexi had to admit, Jackie O looked a lot better. Her skin had plumped up, and her coat glistened like she had been spit shined. But, more importantly, she seemed happy, and Lexi was hesitant to leave her alone in the stable.

"Why don't you bring Jackie O up to the estate?" Hades suggested as he nibbled from the fruit platter. "If you don't think she'll wander off, I don't see why we can't all sit on the back patio and visit."

"Mom will freak out if she finds horse crap on the Spanish tile. But, given the circumstances, I think she'll make an exception. It's either that or set up the wet bar in the stable."

"Your compassion knows no bounds, my sweet." Hades scooped up the remaining food trays and headed out of the stable. Jackie O seemed to agree with Hades's suggestion and followed him without waiting for Lexi. When they reached the patio, Hades deposited the trays and disappeared into the house, promising to return with drinks.

Lexi offered Jackie O a few apple slices from the fruit tray as she inspected her horse under the warmth of the sun. Her shoulders no longer protruded from her coat, and muscle seemed to be growing right before Lexi's eyes. "You look amazing, my friend. How did you recover so quickly?"

"Love is stronger than any medicinal." A man's sultry voice carried over the hedge. A familiar voice, and Lexi turned around, expecting to see Hades, but it was Kade striding up the steps from the deck of the swimming pool. She quickly shook off the disturbing thought of mistaking the two.

"I won't argue against love being powerful medicine. Jackie O could barely stand when I arrived this morning. But I can't credit love for her miraculous recovery. She has finally been eating. Or, maybe she's actually a god and nobody thought to mention it." Lexi chuckled. There had been times when Jackie O galloped fast enough to mimic the feeling of flight.

Kade approached and ruffled Jackie O's mane affectionately, to which the horse offered an obliging snort. "You are forgetting that a goddess has been tending her. From what I've heard, you have a unique connection with animals. Some even suspect it is your gift."

"Would that someone be Hades?"

"Correct. He also says you possess another gift that makes him grateful he has the stamina of a god."

A flood of heat swept over Lexi's face, and she had to suppress the desire to slap the wicked grin off Kade's mouth. He may have inherited his father's good looks, but he did not appear to have the same thoughtful manner. Lexi quickly reminded herself who Kade's mother was. Melinoe's eccentricities must have rubbed off on him.

As she attempted to compose herself, Kade frowned. "I'm sorry, Lexi. That was inappropriate. Hades said very little about your intimate life. I simply inferred based on his enthusiasm regarding your courtship. He cares very much for you."

Kade appeared genuinely remorseful for acting like a pig, and Lexi decided to give him a chance to redeem himself. She gestured to the table, waiting for him to take his seat before choosing the one opposite him. She always found it easier to read a person when she faced them directly. "Hades has told me a few things about you as well, but I am still unclear on what it is you do as a god. Do you have an official title?" 

"My official title, if you want to call it that, is god of temptation. I assist Melinoe in her dealings with mortals. She imposes nightmares and illicit thoughts, while I tempt them into doing things against their better judgment. We both incite the dark and let the mortals find the light. It is all done to help them evolve. We are quite useful when you look closely at it."

Lexi was curious to know what gifts Kade possessed to help him tempt mortals, but she didn't want to instigate a potentially embarrassing conversation. She knew, firsthand, about temptations and how easily they derailed a person's better judgment. Were gods more susceptible to temptation than mortals?