~38~

The sand in the hourglass had barely shifted when Lexi's mind started wandering from the map. Persephone and Jocelyn were engaged in a topic about the depth of the Oceanus River and how it affected the bordering ferns, while Lexi stared into the fireplace. The logs never seemed to need stoking and the flames rarely weakened. It was the same for all the fireplaces in the castle. She figured it had something to do with Hades' influence, but Lexi had too many other thoughts filling her head to dwell on that, namely the minotaurs. She picked up Hades' cup of kettle, using it as an excuse to leave the room.

"I'm going down to the kitchen to make a fresh pot of tea," she said as she opened the door.

Jocelyn gestured to the bell pull hanging against the wall. "We can have one of the nymphs bring up tea."

"I thought I might also check on Cerberus. I want to make sure his wound is healing." This was not a complete fib. She had been wondering whether Cerberus had chewed his bandage off during the night, as he had chosen to sleep with Hades and Persephone instead of her.

"And to follow Hades and Kade into the minotaur forest?" Persephone added, without looking up from the map. "Be sure to take a nymph with you, dear. It's easy to get lost in there."

Despite her attempts to disguise her guilt, Lexi felt a smile tug at her mouth as she nodded to Persephone. "I will."

Lexi hurried to her bedroom in the north tower, ringing the bell pull before changing into clothes more suitable for riding. A knock came at the door as she tugged on her boots.

"Enter," she called, enjoying the short, concise command Persephone had used.

Sella bounded into the room, looking eager to cater to Lexi's fancies. Lexi had hoped for Blythe, as Blythe knew the underworld as well as Hades did, but she wasn't going to dash Sella's hopes by turning her away.

"Oh, good. It's you, Sella. I was wondering if you are able to take a break from your chores. I need someone to accompany me to the minotaur forest."

Sella's vivid green eyes grew to resemble saucers. "The minotaur forest? Why do we need to go there... if you don't mind me inquiring, my lady."

"Hades and Kade went on a hunt, and I was curious to find out how this hunt is accomplished." Lexi stood and walked to her wardrobe, grabbing a sweater and a wide brimmed hat.

"Have you never been on a hunt before, Lady Lexi? It involves some amount of death, on the part of the minotaur, I'm afraid."

Lexi's stomach clenched in spite of Sella's delicately worded description. "No, I have not, and I expect it to be unpleasant, but I don't like to pass judgement on something I haven't witnessed for myself." Throwing the sweater over her arm and jamming the hat on her head, Lexi strode over to Sella and put her hand on the nymph's shoulder. "If you are opposed to such acts of violence, Sella, I will find another nymph to accompany me."

Sella bit the inside of her lip as she looked at Lexi. "If it will please you, my lady, I will accompany you wherever you wish to go."

"Excellent. Get yourself dressed for riding and meet me in the stable."

Jackie O was anxious to leave her stall when Lexi arrived, so she didn't have to resort to bribery as she saddled her horse. Sella showed up shortly after and chose a petite mare named Tipper, perfect for Sella's small stature. Misty was not happy about being left out of the party, but Lexi had to make good on the promises she'd been making to Jackie O. She rummaged up some apples to appease Misty, and soon Lexi and Sella were trotting over the bridge on their way to the minotaur forest.