~47~

Despite the threat of a minotaur invasion, Hades took his time returning home. He didn't believe the minotaurs would continue their siege on the palace. They had made their point perfectly. The minotaurs were a savage race, but they valued the herd over all else, which Hades had to credit them for. He had no argument with the minotaurs, and he supported Lexi's ardent desire to remove the threat of the hunter's arrow to appease them. Maybe peace could be forged between the minotaurs and the other inhabitants. It would make the underworld feel a little less threatening.

He walked at his leisure with Misty and Jackie O, stopping at the river to check on Charon. Hades tended to avoid Charon, leaving the wise cracking, gossip to his own devices, but Charon tended to know everything that went on in the underworld, as well as Olympus, and Hades thought a bit of gossip might serve him under the current circumstances. When he arrived, Charon was sitting naked under a tree peeling an orange. An armful more sat at his feet.

"Greetings, Charon. I see you have procured yourself a small hoard of oranges."

Charon grinned through the heavy stubble on his face, looking desperately in need of a shave. "Indeed. That lovely nymph, Blythe, carried them all the way here just for me. She's a feisty one. Makes me chase her around before letting me catch her. You should really give those nymphs a try, Hades. They know how to please a god. Like I always say, make it with a nymph and you'll be walking with a limp."

Hades shook his head, wondering whether he should have left well enough alone. "That doesn't even rhyme."

"What can I do you for, boss? You have been avoiding me like the plague since Lexi arrived. Haven't given me a chance to work my charms on her." He winked as he slipped an orange wedge into his mouth.

"After a response like that, you have to ask why I haven't brought her here? I came by to ask if you've had any problems with the minotaurs of late. Have they tried to interfere with your work? Made any shows of aggression?"

"No, not any more than usual. There was one incident when a pair of males were fighting near the river and one of them fell in. I expect he was feeling like death for a few days. You still having problems after Kade took down that herd leader?"

Hades pursed his lips. Charon had a habit of wording questions so they came off sounding accusatory. "You could say that. Was this river incident before or after the hunt?"

"Before. I'm sure of it."

Hades grimaced and heat swept through his chest like a brush fire. Was it possible the minotaur Kade took down suffered from post-traumatic stress after falling into the river of woe? It would explain why he wasn't able to evade Kade's arrow or protect his young. "Keep me posted on any unusual activity, Charon, specifically with regard to the minotaurs."

"Sure thing. If you don't mind me saying, you don't look like yourself," Charon said, scrutinizing Hades from below. "You worried about Lexi going to Olympus right before the palace orgy?"

"What palace orgy? I was never informed of an orgy." The heat from Hades' chest quickly rose to his cheeks and he assumed a wide stance, his battle stance.

Charon appeared to notice the change in Hades' demeanor and swallowed a slice of orange whole. "Well, it is possible Zeus meant for you not to know, or maybe he didn't have time to tell you. I just heard about it, myself."

Hades seethed. It was just like his brother to pull a dirty trick like that, and Hades had left Lexi in the care of Kade. While he didn't doubt Kade would keep his word to protect Lexi from the onslaught of gods vying for her attention, a palace orgy was sure to distract him. Hades needed to find someone inside Z's palace who could act as a stand-in protector if Kade fell short of his duties, and he had to act fast.

"Charon, I need to commandeer your scrying mirror."