~73~

Hades knew Lexi was unaware of the challenges facing her with the council of the gods. They were not going to let her negotiate until she got her way. It was true, she had gifts that reached beyond the capacity of any other god, but she was still very young, and she had no influence or authority when it came to Olympus. In spite of this, she was bent on avoiding the subject until they forced her to decide, and she was determined to visit the minotaur encampment immediately, which had Hades' hackles up.

"You may want to bring a gift when you visit the camp," he told her as he slipped on his work robe. "They enjoy apples, and we still have plenty from the last harvest."

"I was planning to offer them something," Lexi said as she watched him from the fireplace. "Apples would be perfect. You know, you're going to have to stop worrying about me. I don't want to be a source of distraction when you're trying to do your job."

"You are a constant source of distraction for me, Lexi, which isn't always rooted in worry." He winked as he hung a gold sash around his neck and walked to the window. He wanted to see what kind of weather he faced. Winter was usually the most unpredictable month, depending on Persephone's mood, but she had left the underworld, so he wasn't surprised to find the ground completely devoid of snow, leaving an endless stretch of dead, yellowed grass. Would the winters be milder without Persephone there to impact them? Perhaps he would walk to work.

The scrying mirror tinkled and Hades turned to stare at it. Would this be the council calling for an answer from Lexi? When he glanced at her, he found her sucking on her lip. There was no sense ignoring the summons. It would only make the gods angrier. He walked to the mirror and held his palm against it. The face that appeared belonged his brother, Zeus, and the smile Z wore appeared much too broad to be trusted.

"Good morning, Hades. I expect you and Lexi had a pleasant reunion. Is she there with you? I would like to have a word with both of you."

Lexi stepped up beside Hades and smiled into the mirror. "Good morning, Zeus."

"Ah, Lexi. You are looking as lovely as a spring maiden. I thought I would check in before you two went about your busy day. The council members and I are eager for a reply to our proposal, and I wanted to be the one to deliver the good news to them."

Lexi grimaced, mimicking Hades' thoughts exactly.

"What's the rush?" she said as her hand snaked around Hades' wrist. "Don't they realize what an important decision this is for me? I'm sure you don't force the other council members to make decisions so quickly."

Z pursed his lips, a tactic he used when he was trying to keep his temper. "I am no more important than the other members. I am merely the moderator, and I am trying to avert a situation that could prove unpleasant for you and Hades."

"You mean the unpleasantness of trapping us in the underworld? Yes, I know."

"Well, it's not just that. A new issue has arisen that I was not aware of until Ares came to me this morning with a rather emphatic demand."

"What was his demand?" Hades asked, his chest heaving with an inaudible sigh. He knew what kinds of demands Ares made, and he knew the god of war was rarely denied.

"Ares reminded me this is the time he usually takes a couple of young gods to the underworld for a lesson in hunting, and he is determined to do that if Lexi does not agree to the terms exactly as they were written up by the council yesterday."

"That's completely unfair!" Lexi's hand strangled Hades' wrist as she shouted at Z's mirrored face. "I haven't even been given twenty four hours, or one turn of the hourglass, however you mark the days around here. Ares is being an unreasonable ass."

"Of course, he is," Z agreed. "He is the god of war. He is destructive and insatiable in battle. And he has few outlets other than the hunt."

"Tell him to visit the mortal world. There are plenty of wars there to satisfy his blood lust." Lexi gasped and she released Hades' arm to throw her hand over her mouth. "Oh, my gods. That was an awful thing to say. It's the adrenaline talking."

Hades slipped his arm around Lexi's waist as he spoke to Z. "What about the other proposal, the one Poseidon offered? Did the council consent to that or do they still need to deliberate?"

Lexi was shaking her head as Z responded. "There has been nothing written up, but since there are more males on the council, I expect the proposal has a good chance of earning a consensus. Of course, I am in on Poseidon's scheme to keep the gods at bay and cause general mayhem to protect Lexi's honor. I do not condone it, but I will vote in favor if that is what Lexi chooses."

"Don't you see how demeaning that is?" Lexi said. "I am not a whore to be traded back and forth."

"Why would you make that comparison?" Z countered. "A consort to a god is not a whore, it is a privilege. Do you not feel privileged every day you spend in the presence of Hades? He is the ruler of the underworld, and his powers extend well beyond the bedroom."

"Apparently, they don't extend to Olympus," Lexi retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

Z did the same as he scrutinized her through the mirror. "Your sharp tongue will get you nowhere with me, and it will only anger the gods. You have taken on the responsibility of goddess of the underworld, consort to Hades, it is time you start behaving appropriately. I need you to make a choice, Lexi."

Lexi's shoulders slumped as she sighed into her chest. But, a moment later, her eyes were focused on Z's face, gleaming with conviction. "Fine, but rather than choosing between the two proposals you have offered, I submit a proposal of my own. I will give you four days a month in Olympus, but I refuse to be Poseidon's consort. Or anyone's consort, for that matter. I should be able to decide who I share myself with. It doesn't mean I won't entertain the idea in the future, but I do not want sex to be part of the bargain. You and the council can take your time thinking about it. I have important business in the minotaur forest, so please tell Ares to keep his arrows out of it or he might end up pulling them out of his ass. Have a nice day."

Turning away resolutely, Lexi walked across the room and left through the chamber door. Z appeared to be on the verge of a migraine as he pressed his fingers to his temples, while Hades tried his damnedest not to grin.

"I think Lexi will make a fine addition to your council, Z," Hades offered. "She and Ares can match wits at every meeting. Damn, what I wouldn't give to see that."