~16~

After a Thanksgiving meal Lexi would not soon forget, she helped Hades up the stairs and into bed. He had clearly indulged in more champagne than his body was used to, and she suggested he take a nap when he began slurring his speech. He wasn't too drunk, however, to grab her around the waist and yank her onto the bed with him.

"You smell more deli...shus than a sus...stain...able turkey roasted to perfect...shun. If you will permit me... I would like to baste you and taste you."

Lexi chuckled at his silliness. He was endearing when he behaved badly. "I doubt you would be able to get your own pants off in the condition you're in."

"Then, I appoint you my official pants remooo...ver. Do not worry, I will not accuuuse you of taking advan...tage of me."

He pulled her in for a kiss, and she felt his erection growing against her thigh. She rubbed her pelvis over it. She couldn't help herself. He was like a drug she wanted filling her veins, and other parts of her anatomy, but she enjoyed it more when he was completely present.

"I promise to take advantage of you after your nap. I will see you soon my silly, drunken prince."

Lexi blew Hades a kiss before leaving the room. She really did love him, especially when he showed his vulnerable side, and she carried the taste of him on her lips as she joined the others in the living room. Zeus noticed her first and hurried over, although he slowed his pace before reaching her, probably reminding himself that the father of the gods did not hurry.

"Lexi, I want to apologize for leaving the table without waiting until everyone had finished their meal. It was inexcusably rude."

His apology sounded rehearsed, but she knew how difficult it was for him to be sorry for anything. He had been her Uncle Z from the time she was old enough to utter his name, and he always had trouble admitting his faults. Now that she knew he was the god, Zeus, she gave him even more credit for it.

"I appreciate the apology, but I am not the one you should be..."

"I apologized to your mother and Charles as well. But your positive perception of me is of the greatest importance. The last words we spoke to each other before you disappeared into the underworld were not exactly complimentary."

"You mean the last words you spoke to me were not exactly complimentary."

He pursed his lips as he was forced to admit she was right. Lexiremembered his last words, and she could recite them back if he neededconfirmation. Land that horse immediately or you will feel my wrath!

"Once again, I am sorry. Those words have haunted me since you left. May we start anew, on even footing?"

"I am willing to do that if you will explain to me why you invited Clary here this weekend. Was it to hurt Hades or me?"

He crossed his arms over his chest and jutted out his bushy chin. She had become quite familiar with this stance. "I was not trying to hurt anyone by inviting Clary, but I did think she might offer useful advice for surviving in the underworld. I am not sure you're aware of this, but she spent thirty some years as Hades's consort." His granite face didn't fool her. She knew he was hiding a smirk as he waited for her to go to pieces at his big reveal.

"I know all about their relationship," she lied. "I also know it has been thirty years since they broke up. And they have both moved on with their lives."

He shrugged as if the subject was of no consequence, but Lexi knew better. Within moments, Zeus was flagging down Clary with a broad wave. Clary excused herself from Dion's company, who looked completely dejected as she walked over to join them.