~33~

It surprised Hades how calm he was. Perhaps it was due to the hour of meditation he had observed before Persephone's arrival, or maybe it had been the intimate evening he'd spent with Lexi. She was on her menses, but that never stopped them before. As Lexi stood next to him, looking every bit the picture of a supreme goddess, his pride and confidence grew like poppies under a witch's spell. Persephone was sure to approve.

When Persephone entered the palace, he immediately noticed how tired and swollen she looked, a by-product of her pregnancy, most assuredly, but she maintained the countenance and grace of the youthful beauty he had fallen in love with that fateful day in the garden. There was still a question as to the parentage of her unborn child, whether it be his or Eros'. Hades had come to terms with Persephone's commitment to Eros long ago, but he still held out hope that the child she carried belonged to him, especially if it turned out to be their last. Maybe this child would choose to live in the underworld.

"My queen," Hades said, as he bowed to her. "We have all been anxious for your arrival."

Lexi followed suit, lowering herself so deeply he heard a pop that he assumed was a seam in her dress.

"What a lovely reception," Persephone said. "Any more doting and I will become insufferable. I expect your daughter would appreciate the same consideration."

Hades straightened and smiled at the goddess accompanying Persephone. Had it not been for his firstborn's connection to nature and to her mother, he doubted he would see her as often as he did. "Jocelyn, you look more resplendent every time you visit."

Jocelyn held out her arms and he stepped into them, embracing her with a smothering hug. "And you look exceptionally well, Hades. I cannot remember an autumn that had you glowing with the radiance of a youth. It makes me wonder what has caused it."

As Hades pulled away, he took in the wily grin on her face. They both knew what had caused it. Jocelyn had always been his favorite. Before he could introduce them to the goddess responsible for his youthful glow, the front door opened again and Kade waltzed in, holding up the lifeless body of a lesser hydra as its blood dripped onto the marble floor.

"I bagged dinner," he said.

Everyone turned to stare at Kade, but it was Lexi who spoke her annoyance. "That's repulsive, Kade. Don't you have any manners? Take that thing back outside before you stain the tile."

Kade's eyes flew open, although his mouth stayed shut as he glanced at Hades.

"You heard the lady," Hades said. "Take it outside and let it bleed out over the gorge."

With an expression that could be best described as miffed, Kade left through the open door, and Persephone turned to address Lexi.

"I could not have put it better myself. You must be Lexi, daughter of Zeus and Lilith Maxwell. I am extremely pleased you are here with us."

"It is an honor to be in your presence, my queen."

Lexi performed another deep bow and Hades felt his heart swell to bursting. She had spoken nonstop of Persephone since they returned from Nova Scotia, wanting to know everything about her so she wouldn't make a fool of herself. Hades had no fear of that. While Lexi's passionate spirit was never in question, she also exhibited a respectfulness that kept her humble. Lexi still had little inkling that her powers were likely to equal and possibly surpass Persephone's by the time she bloomed into them.

"You have your father's bearing," Persephone said, as she looked Lexi over. "And I hear you also possess his strong will. Your eyes, however, must have been inherited from your mother, as they are vibrant and welcoming."

"Yes. My mom has blue eyes. And, if I may say, your eyes are more beautiful in person than in the portraits. My favorite is the tapestry in the west stairwell. I have stared at it so many times, I feel like I already know you." Lexi lowered her eyes, as if she was embarrassed to have rambled on. Hades knew it was a product of her youth, and it was something he hoped she would never outgrow, as it helped him remember his own.

Persephone smiled and reached out to caress Lexi's shoulder. "And I have heard enough about you that I feel we have been friends for many years. I am looking forward to getting to know you better, Lexi, but first I must visit the privy. I cannot walk ten steps these days before I feel the need to relieve myself."

"Let me help you, my dear." Hades proffered his arm and Persephone took it, allowing him to lead her down the hall to the closest facility. He glanced back at Lexi, offering her a smile that he hoped would reassure her. He had made a promise to himself that he would not allow Lexi to feel neglected during Persephone's stay, and the warm smile and confident wave she gave in return assuaged him. The first hurdle had been overcome. Only ninety three turns of the hourglass to go.