~31~

Hades knew it had been difficult for Z to make the journey into the underworld, but there was a part of him that expected his imperious brother to show up on behalf of his daughter. Lexi was proving to be a goddess of immense talent, and as word spread of her abilities, she would be sought by many gods eager to sire offspring with her superior qualities. Z would surely see to it that these facts were promptly announced and over exaggerated.

"Now that you have made the trip, will you stay for dinner, Zeus?" Lexi spoke to her father through a smile that would not leave her face. It arrived shortly after she had resurrected her horse from the dead, and persisted when Z showed up against his word.

"No. I only came to see if you needed my assistance," Z grumbled. "I had a foreboding about this venture of yours, and I did not want you doubting your abilities if you were not able to save your horse. Now that you have witnessed the power you can wield, do not expect me to come to your horse's aid again."

Lexi's smile broadened, and she appeared to stifle a laugh as she hugged him. "You don't have to pretend you have no compassion. I have known you too many years. Thank you for coming. I will never forget this act of kindness." She left him with a kiss on his cheek and returned to comfort Jackie O, who appeared apprehensive in the presence of so many unfamiliar horses.

"Since everything seems to be as it should be, I will take my leave," Z said as he made for his chariot. Hades followed him.

"I will see to it that Lexi receives the proper guidance as she embraces her powers," he said. "That is, unless you know of another god who might facilitate her skills more adequately, and who would have no qualms entering my realm."

Z hesitated before climbing aboard. "Pan may be of some use, since Lexi's skills seem to be tied to animals, but we can cross that bridge when we arrive at it. In the meantime, I trust you and Hecate to facilitate her training."

Hades nodded as Z laid a heavy hand on his shoulder. "You realize you took on a weighty burden when you chose to offer Lexi a place in your heart and your home, Hades. If she carries the gift of healing and rebirth, she will be revered throughout Olympus. It would be a crime to allow her gifts to lament in a world that caters to the dead."

A lengthy sigh escaped Hades' throat as he watched Z mount his chariot and urge his team of horses away from the gates. He had little time to deliberate the seriousness of Z's words before Hecate walked over to him. She had been privy to the entire spectacle, having watched from a distance, posed in her usual calculating stance next to the impassive form of Thanatos.

"Why the worried expression?" she said, beginning what was sure to be a well-executed sermon. "You should be proud of yourself, Hades. You have made a wise choice in mates. Lexi is truly a blessed goddess."

"While your confidence in my wisdom is heartening, Hecate, Z would beg to differ."

"And what does Zeus know about mates? He has as many consorts as there are goddesses. He knows very little about the intricacies of a joyful, everlasting relationship where, clearly, you do."

"If I know so much about joyful, everlasting relationships, why do I spend most of my life alone?"

Hades watched Lexi talk with Kade as they introduced Jackie O to Misty. Both the horses and the gods seemed to be hitting it off.

"You are a loving, attentive and compassionate god," said Hecate. "Your counterparts often take these qualities for granted or misuse them. Commitment is another trait you possess that most others do not. You have proven to be a committed mate in your relationship with Persephone, as you were when you took Macaria and Clary as consorts."

"And how long do you think Lexi will appreciate my fine qualities as a mate?" Hades looked into the bright, penetrating eyes of his most trusted and objective advisor, both fearing and anticipating her answer.

"I believe you will retain her devotion as long as you give her as much as she gives you. Lexi has a strong attachment to you. In fact, I will go as far as saying her tie to you is stronger than any other goddess you have claimed, past and present. All she needs is a reason to stay. Interpret that however you wish."

In a wide sweep of her fiery orange cloak, Hecate returned to the gates, where she mingled with a trio of souls waiting beneath the stone entrance. Once again, his friend had delivered her advice with a heavy dose of consequence. Hades knew nothing of importance ever came easy, as much he tried to make it so. It was time he stopped pretending he could please everyone all of the time. If he wanted to secure his future with Lexi, he must make the toughest decision of his life, knowing full well there would be pain no matter the outcome.