~74~

Lexi felt anxious about meeting the minotaurs, despite the fact she had a nymph with her. The language barrier was daunting, and Lexi worried she wouldn't be able to pull off a simple greeting in their native tongue. But Anna was very chummy with the local minotaur herd, and her confidence helped bolster Lexi's courage. Lexi also hoped the basket of apples she carried as a peace offering would be well received.

"How far is the encampment from your home?" Lexi asked as she followed Anna through the forest. The nymph kept a swift pace, dodging obstacles Lexi failed to see.

"Far enough that we don't disturb each other but close enough that we can come to each other's aid, if need be."

"So, the minotaurs sometimes come to your aid?"

"Yes. Just recently, Rayne fell from a tree and broke her ankle. It was a minotaur who found her first and brought her home."

"Was that before or after the unfortunate incident with the minotaur leader and his son?"

"After, I believe. It would not matter. They do not blame the nymphs for what happened. They are mostly a peaceful race."

"But the minotaurs attacked innocent satyrs to protest the hunt."

"It was a small band of rebels who perpetrated that attack, and they were severely dealt with by the herd."

"Oh. I had not heard that."

Lexi's mind raced as she fondled the lid of the basket. How long had the gods cultivated the belief that the minotaurs were savage? Would the minotaurs be upset when she told them the cessation of the hunt was only temporary? Would they see her meager basket of apples as an insult. appeasing them until the next hunt? If the tables were turned, would she feel insulted? Her thoughts slowed her pace as they entered a section of forest that appeared to be purposefully pruned back, and she noticed several rows of trees laden with pomegranates.

"Were these pomegranate trees planted by the minotaurs?" she asked.

"Yes. This herd produces the bulk of the pomegranates enjoyed by the inhabitants of the underworld. Even the palace in Olympus enjoys the fruits of their labor if the weather damages their crop."

Lexi suddenly felt like a total idiot. She knew so little about the minotaurs, and here she was trying to defend them. If she had known about the pomegranates, she could have added that to her defense, although the gods would have likely found an argument for it. Anna touched Lexi's arm, stopping her in front of a dense patch of woods.

"This is where we need to wait," Anna said, before issuing a bird call that sounded exactly like a bird. Lexi found this interesting since there were no birds in the underworld.

It didn't take long before a pair of minotaurs came tromping through the trees toward them. One of the beasts was large and the other was very large. Both carried lethal-looking spears, and each sported horns looking equally lethal. Lexi had never been that close to full grown minotaurs, and she tried not to stare at their awesomeness. They wore no clothing, probably because they were covered in a thick rug of fur, but a good amount of their awesomeness was still exposed.

The minotaurs clearly recognized Anna and offered her a quick nod before turning their attention to Lexi. She smiled but this didn't seem to impress them. It wasn't until Anna addressed them in their native language that they bobbed their heads in understanding. No further explanation appeared to be needed, and the hulking minotaurs headed back into the forest while Anna nudged Lexi to follow. They did this for a short distance until another clearing opened up, and Lexi found herself stepping into the encampment of the minotaur herd, the one that possessed a vial of Hades' blood. Lexi felt the pressure of that fact like she had walked into the camp with the lifeless body of their fallen leader on her back, and all she had to offer was a friggin' basket of apples.