~24~

Lexi knew something was wrong. Hades had vacated the dining room and didn't return, and when she finally found him, he was sitting in the living room with a book of Greek mythology open on his lap. Hades didn't hold much stock in mortal versions of the gods' life stories. So, why was he so immersed in the book that he startled when Lexi sat down next to him?

"I'm sorry. Did I disturb you?" she asked, although it was clear she had.

He graced her with a dashing smile, giving her that lusty tingle she craved, the same tingle she felt when he first walked into her life. "I can think of no one else I'd rather be disturbed by."

She knew he hadn't meant it as a lie, but she pretended his statement held some truth as she leaned in to kiss him. When she broke away, she caught a glimpse of the page he was reading. It was the story of Hades and Persephone. Why did this not surprise her? He closed the book when he saw her noticing, and his expression turned serious.

"You know I love you, don't you, Lexi?"

"Of course. You have told me on countless occasions and you show me every chance you get." She grinned slyly in an attempt to lighten the mood. She didn't like it when he got broody. Too bad he didn't fall for it.

"Do you believe it's possible to feel romantic love for more than one person?"

Ah, so they were going to open that can of worms? Lexi had hoped there would be no reason to open it. She still had him to herself for two more days, dammit. "Being a novice in the art of romantic love myself, I can only speculate, but I believe it would be possible to maintain an intimate relationship with multiple people...although maybe not long term."

He bobbed his head but offered nothing more.

"Of course, I don't know how it feels to be a goddess in love," she went on. "Since I have only just started on that road. Apparently, I'm supposed to turn into some kind of lust-driven vixen who can't get enough sex to satisfy her."

She chuckled, remembering the conversation she'd had with Clary and Mnemosyne. When she told them about the demonstration Kade gave her in the stable, they offered their detailed accounts of his sexual calisthenics. A few other gods were mentioned as well. Poseidon and his awesome trident was brought up more than once.

A smile broke through Hades' tight-lipped expression as he caressed Lexi's hand. "Who says you haven't already embraced your lust driven vixen. You are a goddess, Lexi. You may have been bred by mortals, but your skills, instincts, and feelings are driven by the enchanted blood that runs through you. The depth of emotion you're experiencing now will carry the same weight for eternity."

Lexi had a clue what Hades was eluding to, and she had never cared much for beating around the bush. "Listen, Hades. If you want to tell me something important about Persephone, please say it and get it over with. Just bear in mind, my heart is not made of steel. I've been trying not to think about how shitty I'm going to feel when she arrives at the palace and commands all your attention, but I'm prepared to let the scenario play out and follow my godly instincts when I'm finally forced to deal with it. It's kind of a motto I've adopted since I decided to abandon all else to be with you."

Hades' mouth slowly dropped open, and his fingers tightened around Lexi's hand. He looked hurt, but she may have been reading him wrong. She still hadn't cracked the code of this multi-faceted god of the underworld. "I do have something important to say to you, but now is not the time for it. I apologize for upsetting you. I want this visit to bring back fond memories for you, not the memory of your lover brooding over uncertainties. I am at your service, my lady. What would you like to do next?"

Lexi bit her lip as she thought of all the things she'd like to do with Hades. Most of them included nudity and multiple orgasms, but she had also been itching for some lively competition. "If you're up for it, a game of billiards sounds fun. Winner chooses the prize."

That intoxicating smile found Hades' mouth again, and he stood from the couch, pulling her up with him. "Challenge accepted. And when I beat you, I get to be the one holding the rope."

"I may just lose on purpose." She reached around Hades' waist and pulled him close, planting a kiss on his blueberry-flavored lips. The figure entering the living room was the only reason she didn't forfeit the game and suggest they get right to awarding the prize.

They both turned to find Clary reaching for a bottle of rum behind the wet bar. "Sorry, you two. Don't let me interrupt. I just need a sedative."

"There are mixers in the fridge right below you," Lexi said as she tugged Hades toward the bar. "What's up, Clary? You look frazzled."

Clary wrinkled her brows, giving Lexi the impression she wasn't too keen on sharing her feelings at the moment, but her godly duties probably compelled her to. "If you must know, your brother is being terribly persistent about demonstrating the advantages of sex with a mortal. I don't think he has ever been told no."

The laugh Lexi stifled had her chest aching. "I'm sorry about Dion. He thinks the sun rises and sets on him when it comes to women." She stepped around the bar and grabbed two glasses and a Coke from the small refrigerator. "Care if I join you? I could use a sedative, myself."

"Please, do. Is there somewhere we can escape for an hour or seven?" Clary winked as she opened the bottle of rum.

"Hades and I were about to go upstairs to the billiard room. You're welcome to join us."

Dion and Kade entered the room at that moment and Dion pumped his fist in the air. "That's a great idea. To the billiard room!"