School

"What is that?"

"Seriously. What is that?"

I set my science project down on the table in front of my two friends. My project: a paper mâché volcano covered in brown and green paint. Tuffs of fake bushes border the bottom of the volcano making it more detailed.

I look down at my 'work of art' and say slowly, "This took me three hours to do. It doesn't look half that bad."

Wonona, the more blunt friend, stands and says happily, "Don't worry. It won't matter how bad it looks once it's covered in elephant toothpaste."

Chemistry is the class where we pour hydrogen peroxide in a tube and throw some sort of chemical in it. Usually, our labs never work. Either there isn't a chemical reaction or the blue acid doesn't turn black.

You would think that since I go to a private school the labs would be fantastic. They're great, but they sometimes have a mind of their own. Hopefully, the chemicals will work today.

Cellcy, my blond haired friend, asks us, "I heard on the news this morning that there was a house on fire. It wasn't far from where you live, Olivia."

I nod my head as a I recall the memory of passing that house on the way to school, "Yeah, I was in a hurry this morning, and I barely watched any TV. But I did pass by that house this morning. It was just a black pile of ash."

Wonona cuts in, "I heard there was a kid trapped inside, and some random girl walked out of the house with him. Nobody knows where she came from. No one saw her go in either. So they suspect she went through the back door."

"There's a hero living somewhere here in Melark, Missouri." Cellcy says to me happily.

Little do they do know that 'the hero' is in touching distance.

My mind was more focused on who the unicorn/pegasus was. He might be my age, but he could be older. What if he was here at my school right now? I actually doubt that. There's only one hundred eighty kids going here, and half of those are elementary while the other half is highschool.

Yes, my school is pretty small. I know everyone's first and last name. Except, I don't know any of the elementary children, because I hardly ever see them in between classes.

The one thing I know about horse boy is that he probably lives within two miles of where I live.

I leave my handmade volcano in the science lab, and head toward homeroom with my three best friends, Cellcy, Wonona, and Roxanne. Along the way I wave at Gabriel, Paige, and Laura who are my other friends that are in eleventh grade.

Most of my friends are in my grade, tenth. I have a few friends in eleventh, ninth, and eighth grade, but none in twelfth. In a school this size it's easy to have friends from different grade levels. You can easily tell who the stuck up ones are compared to the grateful ones. Well, that's obvious no matter where you go to school.

When I walk into homeroom my eyes involuntary flick over toward him. Yes, him. The boy who I've had a crush on for over a year now. It has become hard to not look in his direction. The excitement I feel when I'm near him is too strong.

Seriously, I don't even know him that well. I've let my feelings toward him get too far. Several times I've tried letting it go, but it's like a rock in your shoe. You throw it out, and then later you realize it's still there.

Diesel is a pretty decent fellow. Nothing bad about him or who he hangs out with. There are many times when I have felt like stepping up to Diesel and announce my feelings toward him.