Safety

I reread the note for the millionth time. Then I tuck it back behind the loose panel in my closet.
Why does this writing look so familiar?
When the note is well hidden, I close my closet door, and return to cleaning the house.
The criminal had dropped the note during last night's raid. It is a clue. So far it hasn't helped at all.
But the 'crime fighting griffin' half of my life is for nighttime only. Right now, I need to help clean my house. I'm still a highschool teen. I've got a normal human life to live.
My three friends, Cellcy, Wonona, and Roxanne, will be coming over on Friday. Today is Wednesday. The house is in dire need of tidying up. Especially my room.
That reminds me. I'll have to let Diesel know that I won't be able to come out on Friday night.
I wouldn't want Diesel to be waiting for me not knowing that I wouldn't be arriving. That would be so mean to just let him think that I'd be coming that night.
I know that finding these criminals is so important. We have a three day weekend coming up. Thanks to Memorial Day. Maybe we will stop these people once and for all.
Cleaning my house doesn't take too long, and I'm able to quickly return to my pastime. It's currently five thirty, and all of my homework is finished. My parents will be home in a few minutes.
The house is uneasily quiet. Usually, there's a low murmur of noise drifting in from the living room. It's normally around this time of the day when Felicity watches TV. If she's isn't watching TV, she's either listening to music or talking with a friend on the phone.
I decide to go on a hunt for my sister.
Tiptoeing out of my room, I go into the living room, dining room, and even the bathroom. Lastly, I check her bedroom, and I'm surprised to see that she's sitting on her bed. The curtains are closed. The lights are off. The only light in her room is from the blue analog clock beside her bed.
"Felicity, what's wrong?" I proceed into her room.
A sudden special concern fills me. A type of emotion that only siblings can have. You want to protect them, and make sure they don't get beat up by the bad kid in school. There's a certain instinct built in me that wants to take care of her when times are tough.
Felicity stays silent as I sit on the edge of the bed next to her. I put my arm around her. She continues to not acknowledge my presence.
Yesterday, we had a conversation about how she might become like me within a day or two. Apparently, this fact still bothered her.
I sigh and pull her closer to me, "Felicity, no matter what happens, you'll still be my sister. If you become something like me then great. If you don't that's also great. Either way, it's not going to be the end of the world. It doesn't matter if you are one thing or another."
My sister finally turns to look up at me. Her eyes say it all. Beaten down and in need of some assurance or encouragement.
I know that she has always wanted to be like me, but I also know that she just wants to be a normal girl.
She needs something to keep her mind off this. Anything will help.
Starting out slowly, I tell her, "I bet you won't guess what happened the other night."
"What?" Felicity asks halfheartedly.
A smile spreads across my face, "I found out who the alicorn is."
Her eyes widen at this news, "And you didn't tell me this?!"
I shrug while smiling, "I had to find the right time to tell you."
Putting her hand on my shoulder, Felicity asks seriously, "Who is the alicorn?"
I could tell that she was dying to know.
"He's someone who goes to our school."
"No way." She says excitedly.
"Yes, it's true. You know who Diesel is right?" I ask her.
"Yeah, I see him around school and you sort of mention him sometimes." Felicity giggles.
"What? I do-? Anyway, Diesel is the alicorn." I state.
Unbelievable shock crosses her face, "Seriously? Like no joke?"
"No, joke. I can't believe-"
The front door clicks open. I immediately hear both of my parents walk in, talking.
Felicity turns to me, "Please, don't tell Mom and Dad about the whole 'possibly-going-to-be-a-mythical-creature talk' we had the other day."
I point a finger at her and smile, "Ditto."
We then go say hi to our parents who have brought food for us. Felicity grabs the first thing she sees and starts devouring it. I'm slower at this task.
"Olivia, you need to stay at home tonight." Dad tells me as he puts the eggs in the fridge.
I choke on the drink I had been gulping down, "What? Why?"
Dad continues as if I had not nearly drowned on soda, "Haven't you heard yet? The windows along Main Street last night were busted out. The people who did it also left behind a threat saying they'd return. Your mom and I think that it's best for you to stay here for a few nights."
A cold fear runs through me. Diesel and I are so close to stopping these guys. Plus, if I don't show up to meet Diesel, it'll break down whatever bond we have built back up so far.
"Mom, Dad, please. I rarely ever go into town, you know that. I'll stay near the old quarry where no one ever goes. That's the most secluded place in town. The road isn't even in existence any more. It takes a long time for people to hike there too."
The first few years I was a griffin, I would venture around the old quarry which is north of both the town of Mellark and Lake Jah. It rests in the side of a hill. Red mud and loose rocks lay everywhere. It's grown up with trees and saplings. No one ever goes there and it's hard to get to. If people do go there, it's usually just because they want to say they've accomplished the trek. Old stories and tales say that it's haunted by the ghost of a man who died in a rockfall there at the quarry. Whether that is true or just a made up story is still unknown to this day.
My parents think on my argument for a minute. They remain quiet as they ponder this over in their minds.
Finally, Mom and Dad exchange a glance, and then Mom says with a sigh, "Stay away from any roads. Stay away from any lights. Stay away from any people. Stay in the woods."
Those words had been repeated to me hundreds of times, but I also break them more often than safety permits.
I nod and promise my parents that I'll stay out of trouble. I promise, but that doesn't mean I can prevent it though.
Staying out of trouble can't be avoided when their half-griffin daughter is secretly looking for criminals, meeting with an alicorn, and flying into traffic lights.
By the way, I'm still slightly sore from that unfortunate situation.