Epilogue

"Are you nervous?" I ask a stiff Diesel.
He sighs deeply, "Sort of... I mean... My own parents don't even know what I am. It feels like I'm not putting my trust in them when I'm telling someone else's parents my secret. No offense."
"I totally understand, Diesel." I assure my boyfriend.
Diesel has always found it hard to deal with the fact that he keeps his hugest secret from his own father and mother. Even though he now shares that secret with his brother, Garret, it still bothers him a lot. Though all of my persuasions can never convince Diesel to tell his parents. He has made it clear that it would be best that his parents never know about his abnormal abilities.
We soon arrive at my backyard where we had left to go on a walk fifteen minutes ago. A fearful excitement fills us both.
A warm breeze blows across the lake surface and envelopes us in a blanket of soft air. The distinct scent of lake water fills my nose. White, billowy clouds float above us like cotton sailboats. The sun is as bright as ever. Its blinding light shines down upon the whole area. Noon is the brightest and cheeriest time of the day.
Before I open the back door, Diesel stops me. I give him a questioning look. Then I begin to wonder if he's backing out. We had agreed to tell my parents about how he's a shapeshifter.
"It's not what you're thinking..." He says slowly.
I raise an eyebrow, "What are you talking about? We can do this another time if you want-"
Diesel shakes his head quickly, "No, no. I wanted to tell you..."
I patiently wait for him to continue.
"...we've been dating for a short while now, but there's something I've been wanting to tell you for some time. I didn't truly realize it until the night you took that bullet for me. And I've been thinking about it ever since."
I remain absolutely quiet as I listen to these words of his.
Continuing, Diesel tells me, "I love you, Olivia."
An uncontrollable smile spreads across my face, and I don't catch myself leaning toward Diesel until my lips momentarily meet his. Instead of drawing back in disgust, I savor the short, sweet moment. Diesel wraps his tan arms around me as I look up into his dark brown eyes.
"I love you too, Diesel." I smile at the boy whom I've fallen for.
Whatever nervous tension inside of us has now been melted away by this moment.
How have we become so close in such a small amount of time?
It wasn't long ago when I met a mythical horse in the forest of my hometown. Arguments and disagreements took place before I discovered the true person behind the mask. I'm not talking about finding out that Walker was Diesel. I'm talking about when I saw him as he was on the inside. Whether he is Walker the alicorn or Diesel the human, what matters is the person he really is. Through each trial and after each unfortunate accident Diesel would ask if I was alright. He stayed focused on me during those moments and ignored all else that had previously happened. His selflessness truly showed when we truly began trusting each other. That only happened after we rebuilt our trust when I claimed that he was one of the people vandalizing Melark.
We both slowly pull back as our main reason for today's meeting comes back to mind. I then open the sliding back door, and I can hear my parents speaking in the living room. I told them a week ago that Diesel and I were officially dating. To my surprise, they seemed fine with it. Apparently, they think that Diesel is a nice, decent guy.
I turn to Diesel as I close the back door, "Are you ready?"
He nods with a newfound determination, "Yes. Yes, I am."
My eyes settle on his. The exhaustion from last week's adventures is completely gone now. It's summer now, we can stay up as late as we like. Diesel doesn't have to get up early, and that means he has more time to rest after nighttime outings.
Hesitantly, we enter the living room. My parents' conversation ends abruptly as we walk in. I guess we have that look on our face that says we have something we need to tell them.
I glance toward Diesel one last time to see him biting his lower lip. Nervous tension runs between the both of us.
This is going to sound really bad when I first start out.
Taking a deep breath, I begin, "We have this thing we've been wanting to tell you for a while now... Diesel and I have something in common."
My parents both share a confused and shocked look on their face. I would give anything to know what they're thoughts are at this exact moment.
They'll be flabbergasted when we tell them that we share the same secret. If anything, they'll be excited to hear that Felicity and I are not the only ones of our kind.
Diesel and I exchange a quick glance, and in unison we announce, "We're both shapeshifters."