Strange

The next morning I quickly hop in my Toyota Camry. Felicity drags her feet like she's on her way to her death sentence. School is her enemy.

As soon as I start the engine, loud music starts blaring from the speakers. Usually, I would turn down the earsplitting noise, but instead I leave it be.

Felicity opens the passenger door and yells, "Turn it down!"

"What?!"

"I said turn it down!" She screams.

"What?!"

"Turn! It! Down!"

"Turn down for what?!"

It's seven thirty in the morning. I am most likely giving the neighborhood a heart attack. Loud noises in the morning ruin the serene silence that my neighbors enjoy.

Eventually, Felicity, the non-morning person, turns down the radio. I then back out of the driveway, and we make our way toward school.

The usual drive there is interrupted though.

Before we leave the community that my sister and I live in, red and blue lights flash ahead of us. The bright flashing is obviously coming from the emergency vehicles parked on the curbside.

On my left is Lake Jah, and on my right are rows of houses. I press the brakes more as an officer walks up to my car.

I roll down the window to ask, "What happened?"

As he looks back at the firetrucks and ambulances, the officer says, "Someone ran off the road and into the lake last night. The driver is fine, but he claimed that somebody slashed his tires."

"Oh. Well I hope that doesn't happen again.", It's the only thing I can think to say at this moment.

The officer straightens his back, "Yeah, seems a little suspicious to me. We won't know until we pull the car out though."

He asks me to drive by slowly, and I do. Felicity and I can clearly see the back end of the silver car above the water's surface.

As the flashing lights fade in my rearview mirror, Felicity says, "Isn't it weird?"

"What is?"

"The house fire one night, and then this accident in the lake one day later." Felicity murmurs.

I think about her point. Two life threatening events had happened in my community in less than forty-eight hours.

"I hate to say it, but I think the winged unicorn that you saw did it." She continues bluntly.

I turn into the school parking lot and reply, "No, I doubt it. Why would he do it in the first place?"

"Because it's just... suspicious! Think about it. You said yourself that this thing has fangs." She shouts nearly.

"Felicity, he is a normal person just like you and me. Probably doesn't live far from us either." I tell her.

She shivers, "Ugh, don't say that."

"He, whoever he is, is just like me, half mythical. Think about it. What if someone thought about me the way you're thinking about this unicorn pegasus guy?"

Felicity thinks for a few seconds as I park the car in the small parking lot.

After having deep thoughts, she finally tells me, "Well, I wouldn't want someone to think bad about you. You're my sister. I trust you. Plus, you're a griffin which is, by the way, really cool."

I smile at her and pull the keys out out the steering wheel, "Come on. We're gonna be late."

"Wait, one last thing Olivia." She grabs my arm.

"What is it?"

She looks into my eyes then grins, "Can we please stop calling this guy a unicorn pegasus?"

"Sure... What are we supposed to refer him as?" I say slowly.

"An alicorn." She chirps.

I roll my eyes, and decide to not ask how or where that idea came into an existence. An alicorn? Sure, even though I've never heard of it before.
I go along with Felicity's made-up name. She walks towards the elementary building as I walk to the highschool building.

Felicity did have a point. There have been some peculiar vandalisms and unusual things happening here in town lately. Maybe this alicorn is bad news. He might be like me... but he might have different goals than me.