Reluctants

We reach the quarry, but we skid to a halt before stepping into the bright light that covers the entire area. Our eyes widen at what we are currently viewing. Each of our feet automatically take us backwards. The sight is too shocking to pry our eyes off of.
This explains everything! This is why they were blackmailed! This is why they had to vandalize the town!
The quarry has changed drastically since I last saw it months ago. Back then there were saplings, mature trees, countless weeds, loose rocks, and raw red mud falling from the side of the open hill.
But it's dramatically different now.
Instead, all the undergrowth has been excavated away to a flat surface. Red clay is all that's left to walk on. Two campers sit on opposite sides of the quarry. Multiple, huge black barrels sit on the far side of the clearing. An oil well is not too far away from where we stand. There are strange men patrolling the area. A rifle is held in each of the men's arms.
"What in the world?" I whisper to Diesel as we stare at the seen before us.
This is why Roxanne's family was blackmailed! Someone is taking oil from the ground, but how? There's no oil deposits in this part of the country, supposedly. But whoever is doing this wanted Roxanne's family to vandalize Melark. Whether it was supposed to be a distraction or to run people out is an unanswered question.
"What should we do?", I nervously ask Diesel.
He takes a deep breath, "We came here to find some people. That's what we will do."
I nod my head frantically, "Your turn to captain. Take the lead, Commander Diesel."
My... boyfriend... slowly nears the closest camper where a dim light is on inside. A box-like generator growls steadily outside.
Crouching with folded wings, Diesel turns back to me, "We're too noticeable this way. Morph back to a human."
I silently agree with him as I begin to shift out of my griffin form. My wings, tails, fur, feathers, beak, talons, and claws are quickly absorbed into my body.
My eyes open as a human. I stare straight at Diesel who's inching toward the camper that lies just outside the cover of the woods. I get to him as fast as possible and grab his shoulders. If the moment wasn't so serious, I probably would have realized that his shoulders were super muscular.
"What are you doing?" He asks me completely confused.
I hold onto him tighter and whisper urgently, "Don't go to that camper. Those men will shoot you to pieces."
"What if Roxanne and her family are in there though?", Diesel points out.
My face falls more and I bite my lip, "We need a distraction."
"I'll be the distraction."
"No, you will not." I growl in his left ear as my hands hold onto him harder.
I search the ground for something that I can throw. After a few seconds, I find a rock the size of both of my fists. I grab it and make eye contact with Diesel. He nods in agreement.
I count to five then throw the rock with all of my griffin strength. It's launched across the clearing and lands near the other distant camper. As predicted, it draws the attention of the bored patrolling men.
As soon as we're safe, Diesel and I run to one of the camper's window to look inside. Two people sit back to back in the center of the camper.
"Those are Roxanne's brothers!" I whisper to Diesel impatiently.
Without warning, Diesel raises his first and slammed it into the glass window. It shatters loudly, and I cringe hoping the guards didn't hear.
I glance down at Diesel's fist, and I immediately notice blood trickling across his knuckles. I'm about to say some negativities about how he shouldn't be destroying windows with bare hands, but we don't have the spare time.
We use the camper's tire as a step so we can climb through the broken window. Roxanne's two brother are well aware of all of this.
"What are you doing here, Olivia?" The oldest, Kyle, who is eighteen asks me shocked.
I know Roxanne's brothers well. They're literally like cousins to me. Roxanne and I did so many things together, and sometimes her brother were there too.
I put my fingers to my lips as Diesel and I walk closer. I then notice that the two brothers are tied to two chairs that are back to back. Their hands are bound together behind the chairs.
I don't hesitate to free them of their bindings. Since neither of them can see my hand at this angle, I let a claw grow from my finger so I can easily cut the ropes. Once the ropes are loose, they jerk their hands free and they stand stiffly.
"How long have you been here?", Diesel asks as he glances out one of the windows to check for danger
The youngest brother, Damon, who's seventeen, answers, "About six hours, but we were forced to leave our house early this morning."
"Where are Roxanne and your parents?" I ask them desperately.
Kyle replies, "Our parents were told to wait until we were let go. They're staying at that old theater in town. We don't know where Roxanne is. She could be here or anywhere."
I try ignoring the scar left behind on my back. Kyle is the one who had shot me. He didn't know it was me though. All he saw was a dangerous wild animal.
"We'll look for Roxanne. You should go find your parents. Once we find Roxanne, we will meet you at the theater." Diesel says coldly as he continues to keep watch.
I can tell that Diesel doesn't care for these two brother. It's probably because they nearly killed me a few night ago. I'm sure he'd rather not associate with them since they almost took both of our lives.
"If you're going to search for our sister, we're helping you.", Damon says stubbornly.
Diesel's anger suddenly comes to a boil, "No. Go. You'll be in the way."
"I'm with Damon. Plus, what makes you think you can do anything against all these armed men?" Kyle steps up to Diesel.
I cross my arms and intercede them, "We can do it, Kyle. Don't doubt us. Or have you forgotten that I escaped your locked basement?"
A moment of shock passes over his face before it dissipates.
Kyle sighs defeatedly and gives me a joking smile, "When this is all done with, I want to know how you got out."
The familiar feeling of how we used to joke overwhelms me, and I can't help but return the playfulness, "Don't worry. I'm never going to forget that experience."
Diesel gives the two teens a glare, "It's best if you hurry on. Last time I checked, it was a long hike back to Melark."
They still seem very reluctant to go, but they eventually leave through the broken window. If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't want to leave knowing that my sister lay in the hands of two sixteen year-olds.
When they're well gone, Diesel turns back to me.
His previous attitude has turned into an excited determination, "Are you ready to find Roxanne?"
I exhale nervously, "I sure am."