Friends

Wonona, what are you talking about this time?
My friend is currently leaning against the wall wondering what the answer is to another one of her random fact.
"How long will it take a bridge that is made entirely of ice and a hundred miles thick and a hundred miles wide to melt if it extends from the earth to the sun?" Wonona ponders out loud as she gazes off into space.
Cellcy, Roxanne, and I just stare at her as if she's completely lost it.
It's now Friday evening. We're hanging out in my room at the moment. My three friends' overnight bags are piled in the corner of my room. Music is softly playing in the background. Roxanne has chosen tonight's playlist which mostly consists of her favorite bands and personal favorites.
I need to do something fast. I think they're getting bored.
I jump off the bed and announce, "Okay. Let's go outside. Especially you, Wonona. You are in need of fresh air. You've been working in school too much."
A minute later we're walking along the lakeshore. It's warm and the setting sun is hiding behind the trees. Only yellow and orangish light filters across the sky. Faint shadows are just beginning to grow. The scent of charcoal is coming from my neighbor's yard. Boats are skidding across the lake having a big time.
Of course everyone is in a good mood. The locals are carefree since this weekend in particular is an extended one. Monday is Memorial Day. Meaning it's a three day weekend.
"Hey, we have only four more days of school." Cellcy tells us happily as she attempts to skip a rock. It skips twice then disappears under the water.
"Huh? Really?" I ask.
Her statement has caught me off guard. Are there really just a few more days of school left until summer break?
All that has happened recently must have distracted me from this exciting fact. Meeting a unicorn slash pegasus and running into late night criminals has kept most of my attention lately.
The three of my friends continue to talk as I look across the vast expanse of water. My mind drifts to Diesel.
Last night, which was Thursday night, had been so lonely without him there. For nine years, I have been alone every single night. No friend, no person who shares my secret, no one who understands. No one.
It never bothered me either. I held myself high knowing that I had an amazing secret. Being alone was something I had become used to over the long years. A loner was a thing I accustomed myself with. Slithering around my neighborhood, scaring my neighbors' dogs, and exploring the woods was always a thing I did alone. Having someone join me in such activities never occurred to me. I thought that I was the only freak of nature.
Things... have changed now. Being alone in the night is different. There's no one there to speak to or understand how you feel about having a weird mythical side.
Diesel and I are a team. A team can't be just one person alone.
Fortunately, nothing bad happened last night so I didn't need any back-up. Hopefully, Diesel, who would be in the same boat tonight, would have the same luck. No trouble, no hassle.
My friends and I continue to walk along the lake, and then we return to my house to have a supper that completely consists of junk food. Once done with that, I entertain them with movies. Most of my movies are action, adventure, or the latest superhero films.
During the movie, Felicity joins us. Sympathy settles over me when I watch her sit in the comforter that's facing the television.
Whenever she invites friends over, I usually spend the night at one of my friend's houses so that I don't invade their sleepover. The same goes for when I invite friends over. Felicity had been looking forward to going to her friend's for the night, but my parents objected to this.
You're probably wanting to know why, right?
It was only a few days ago when she reached the time period where my parents thought she might become something like I am. We waited and waited, but she didn't shift, morph, or turn into any mythical creature. Ever since then, my parents have kept a close eye on her in case this 'change' occurs. That's why they said no to her when she wanted to go to a friend's house tonight. They don't want Felicity to wake up at someone else's house as a mythical creature or something.
Until my parents feel assured that she isn't going to change, Felicity will be staying here at the house.
At eleven o'clock, Felicity goes to bed as the movie ends. I'm about to pop another DVD in, but I glance over to see Wonona on the verge of sleep.
"Wake up!" I tell her from where I stand, not caring if my action is rude or not.
"Where- wha?" She opens her eyes groggily.
Cellcy and Roxanne start giggling at their fellow friend. I quickly go into the kitchen and open the cabinet. I then grab a special drink that I have saved for occasions such as this. Of course, it's a type of drink that I have no need for.
I return to the living room and pop the tall can. Then I hand the energy drink to my half asleep friends. Without thinking she takes the can with both hands and drinks it with no questions at to what it is.
The drink's can has a green M set against a pitch black background. It tilts sideways as she gulps it down thirstily.
I'm awake for twenty-one hours every day. There's no need for an energy drink when I'm the fastest student in my school and a very active morning person.
Within ten minutes, Wonona is more than awake. She's playing on my Wii and acing ever single dance move on the game.
"Maybe... you shouldn't have given her that energy drink." Cellcy mummers as she watches her friend start another dance song.
Roxanne who has been watching in stunned silence whispers, "Poor girl is going to be so tired tomorrow morning."
Wonona continues to do this for an hour and a half. The remaining three of us talk as we watch her entertain us. Eventually, Cellcy is persuaded into joining Wonona in a dance battle.
I sit next to Roxanne, and take the advantage to talk to her.
"You said the other day that your parents are having a rough time with their new jobs. How is that going?" I ask timidly.
Sighing deeply, Roxanne replies in a low voice, "It's somewhat better. Hopefully, it will lighten up soon. You know how new jobs are. Once you get the hang of it, there's no problem to it."
Silence hangs between us for a minute as we watch our two energy-filled friends dance battle with each other.
I want to know what type of job Roxanne's parents have applied for. But prying for answers and asking personal questions of a friend isn't in my nature. If she wishes to share details, that's fine, but I'm not going to be nosy about this matter.
After our short silence, Roxanne starts the conversation back up, "How's it going with Diesel?"
For a second, I'm caught off guard. The first thing that pops into my mind is that she has figured out that I'm hanging out with Diesel at night.
Roxanne knows that I've had a crush on him for a long time. Obviously, she'd want a slice of the what has happened recently.
"I still like him.. Wait, I didn't tell you what happened the other day! You wouldn't believe it." I then continue to explain how I had bumped into Diesel the other day, and I go on to tell her about how he had picked up my books after I had dropped them.
I make sure not to leave out the part where Diana attempted to get involved.
"Oh, that girl needs to just stop trying to squeeze in between everything." Roxanne tells me as I finish my story.
Diana is known to get involved in other people's relationships in order to grab a guy's attention. I've even seen her get a boy in trouble just so that he would notice her.
Stuff like that is looked down upon by most of the students in my small highschool.
Our conversation shifts to a different topic. Then it goes to another topic and then an even different topic. Eventually, we get to a point where I start wondering how we got to that certain subject.
Somehow the conversation started with us talking about Diana, but it ends with us talking about how we both easily lose out cellphones between the driver's seat and the armrest of our cars.
By the end of our little chat, Cellcy and Wonona are tired. Somehow Wonona has burned through the massive amount of energy she consumed hours ago.
She wearily wanders into my room and that's the last time I would see her until the next morning. Cellcy stays up with Roxanne and I for another two hours. Half of the stuff we talk about either isn't important or it results in us laughing uncontrollably.
At three a.m. we start eating snacks, and shortly afterwards we lose Cellcy. Curled up on the recliner, she falls asleep with a thick blanket wrapped around her.
Roxanne and I continue to stay up and talk. Besides myself, she's always the one who stays up the longest. She'll fight in order to be awake for every second of the party. Nothing can keep her from missing out on any interesting gossip or from finding out a crazy new fact about a friend.
Truthfully, out of my three best friends, Roxanne is the closest to me. We've shared secrets that even our parents are unaware of. Whenever we need each other, we just hop on a jet ski and go to the other's house.
For the ten years we've known each other, both of us have always had each other's back. Every important event in our life, whether it involves tears, laughter, pain, fear, or joy. We have been there for one another. Without Roxanne or any of my friends I would not be the person I am now.
Finally, at 4:30 we reach a point where we both desire sleep. Usually, I go to sleep at four and wake at seven. That's a grand total of three beautiful hours of sleep.
Of course, I could stay up much longer than that, but I'd rather not push my luck. Every single creature needs sleep and rest.
Including half-human teenage griffins.