Regret

I weave through many trees. Walker's faint scent lingers in the air. There's no need to track him though. I know exactly where he's going.

I had once run into him while he was in his human form. Unfortunately, there had been a shadow cast across his face, and I was unable to see what he actually looked like. This all happened at the sawmill located near Lake Jah's dam just a few days ago.
That's also where he is headed to at this exact moment.
____________________
Woods skirt around the property. I stay hidden behind a tree and gently peak around its gnarled bark. The shadowy sawmill lies across a dusty parking lot. The main building is located about one hundred fifty feet away from my location.

A dark familiar figure steps out from the trees fifty feet from where I stand. His huge, black feathery wings extend from his smooth back. The polished horn on his forehead reflects the faint moonlight that lingers in the desolate lot.

A deep aching hurt hits me when I remember the false things I had accused him of earlier.

Walker slowly draws nearer to the mill, but hesitates momentarily. Slowly, the wings on his shoulders shrink at the same time the spiraled horn is decreasing. Hoofs become hands and feet. Clothes and tan human skin replace the black hair as it disappears.

The silvery white moonlight is immediately cast upon the human's face. The face is of a person I've seen hundreds of times.

No... it can't be...

My eyes are glued to the teenager as he runs his fingers through his ruffled hair. Dark hair and light skin are cast in the moonlight. The person, who I recognized instantly, wears an expression I've never seen him with before. Hurt, betrayal, annoyance, anger... and defeat.

What have I done?

I don't stop myself as I step out of the concealment of the woods. The familiar teen doesn't noticed me at first, but his sensitive hearing picks up my light footsteps.

As he turns toward me, his name spills from my beak, "Diesel?"

A different expression takes place on his face. Shock, surprise, disbelief, and then some apprehension.

"How do you know my name?" Diesel points a finger at me.

I can't tell him. I just can't...

My earlier accusations ruined our alliance. Just seeing my face is probably a disgrace to him. If he knows who I really am as a human that would only mark me worse.

I don't want to go to school tomorrow with him knowing who I am and what I did to him.

"I just happen to see you around town." I lie to Diesel.

I still can't believe that my crush is standing in front of me. Walker is Diesel. Diesel is Walker. I never saw this coming. No, I would have never guessed that Walker and Diesel might be the same person.

Why did I accuse Walker- I mean Diesel- of doing the crimes?

I've shot myself. That's what! Good job, Olivia. You ruined a friendship and possibly a chance of knowing your crush too.

Diesel ignores the fact that I know his name and continues, "I told you to not follow me."

"I'm sorry-"