Human

I'm not the type of person who dreads school. Yeah, the tests and projects can be rough at times, but other than that school isn't too bad for me. I love socializing with my friends. My two categories of friends are listed as 'school' friends and 'best' friends.
'School' friends are basically all the girls in my class that I joke around with and talk about everyday things with.
My 'best' friends are the ones who will stick by my side no matter what. They're true and one-hundred percent loyal in their friendship.
Like I was saying, I don't dread school. I look forward to seeing my friends and socializing like a normal human being. Socializing is a major part of life anyway. That's why I like school. It's one of the reasons why I don't dread or hate it.
But today is different. I dread it like I never have before. I don't want to walk through those glass doors, or walk down those hallways, or sit in those classrooms.
The reason for this is because of Roxanne. There's no doubt that we'll have a conversation with each other when we cross paths. I will feel as if I'm talking to a complete stranger.
I feel like I will never be ready to talk to Roxanne. I don't know what to say to her anyway. The words can't be formed or spoken. What will she say to me when we see each other? Will she no longer care to know me as her friend? Can she turn her back on her childhood friend or has she changed beyond my understanding?
Speaking to each other can't be put off though. It's going to happen whether I wish it to or not. It's unpreventable.
I'm not mad at her. I couldn't be if I wanted to. Most people would be furious in my situation, but my fury is dormant somewhere in a distant part of me.
Okay, Olivia. Let's go to school.
________________
"How did your date with Diesel go yesterday?" Felicity pesters me.
Since we're alone in the car, a pure griffin growl intentionally escapes me, "It was not a date. It was merely a simple invitation to meet his family."
She smiles in unbelief and drags out her first word, "Sure. But you two are dating, right?"
I have a sudden temptation to slam down on the brakes and make my sister crash into the dashboard, but I hold back.
I'm already dreading my school day. I don't need Felicity getting underneath my skin. So far her aggravating hasn't helped a bit, as you can clearly see.
I take a deep long breath to calm down, "No, Diesel is not my boyfriend. We aren't dating."
She suddenly becomes serious and stops her mocking tone, "But you do like him, right?"
I glance at her, "Yes, I do... A lot actually."
Felicity gives me small grin and says quietly, "I should tell Diesel you said that when he comes in to help my teacher today."
"Please, don't." I don't try arguing with my sister. My emotions are already set on having to confront a possibly long-lost friend.
It's surprising what can happen in one single weekend. Friday night, Roxanne was at my house, and we were having a great time. Twenty-four hours later I'm stuck in her basement.
Now that I think about it, I haven't spoken to Roxanne since she drugged me.
Little is said between Felicity and I during the remainder of our ride. She has a certain strange way of telling when something is bothering me. I'm left alone, and I'm glad she doesn't ask about what's troubling me.
_____________________
My legs fidget as I sit in homeroom. I'm so nervous.
Roxanne's car wasn't in the parking lot earlier, and with every second that passes I expect her to walk through that door.
All of my classmates are excited about having only four more days of school left.
I should be happy as well, but so far this has been the worst ending to a school year ever!
I start looking over some notes that I took in my notebook, but I'm only staring at the words. My mind doesn't read the notes. Instead, it stays trained on the last few people coming into class.
Roxanne never arrives.
The bell rings and our homeroom teacher takes attendance. Only two people are absent today. Roxanne is one of them.
Someone pokes me. I turn expecting to see one of the girls in my class, but I instead turn to see Diesel smiling at me.
My dread suddenly melts away, and all I see is Diesel smiling at me, not anyone else. He could talk to anyone else in the room. Diesel could act like other boys and pretend that girls aren't an existing thing, but of course he doesn't.
"Hi." Diesel says as I fully face him.
The simple greeting feels like more than just a simple 'hi'. It feels like what someone says when they're happy to see you.
I smile back, because why would I try to hold back a smile when I'm here with Diesel.
"Hi, so how's it going?" I purposely repeat his greeting.
He nods seriously trying to be funny, "Very good, very good. How are you this fine Tuesday morning?"
My smile drops and I regret letting it do so.
Diesel looses his humor and asks concerned, "It's about Roxanne, isn't it?"
I nod, "She hasn't come yet. In a way, I'm glad, because that means I have more time until I have to talk to her again. But on the other hand, it's not like Roxanne it be late like this. It's very strange. I'm worried..."
Diesel's quiet for a second and then he says in a low voice so others won't hear, "The man blackmailing her family. Do you think he... did something?"
I know what he means. Whoever is blackmailing Roxanne's family is a bad guy, and he doesn't think twice about killing or obliterating his opponents. That's what Roxanne once told me. I have no doubts about that. This guy is ruthless and heartless. He's a wicked person... whoever 'he' is.
A shiver runs through me, "I hope nothing happened to Roxanne."
"Maybe we need to check in on this tonight?"
I agree, "Definitely."
The bell rings and we're forced to end the conversation there. I go to my first class of the day, Chemistry.
Wonona follows me out of homeroom saying happily, "Hey, thanks for inviting me over last Friday. I had lots of fun. We all did."
I force a smile onto my face, "You're welcome. I had wanted to invite you guys over for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to it. Hopefully, we can do more this summer since I got my license last fall."
She nods, "Sounds exciting. You know what else is exciting?"
I wince at the tone in her voice that I know all too well. Wonona is about to make a big deal out of something simple.
"What?" I dare to ask.
She gives me a sly smirk and whispers, "I saw you and Diesel talking. I know you've liked him for a while now. Looks like you finally got around to talking to him it seems."
I nearly stop dead in my tracks and stutter, "Yeah... yeah."
We enter the Chemistry lab. My Chemistry seat is beside where Roxanne usually sits. A deep pit fills me.
"I must congratulate you. I wouldn't have had enough guts to talk to my crush."
Even though Wonona whispered, it feels as if she screamed the word 'crush'.
Wonona gives me a quick smile before sitting with her lab group. I glance at the marker board to read my lab partners. I'm ecstatic to see that Diesel and I are in the same lab group together.
Someone places their book bag next to my stool and a voice says a fake western accent, "Howdy, lab partner."
I turn to Diesel, "Howdy! Now, explain why our teacher is giving us a lab on the last week of school."
He returns to his normal voice and replies, "I guess to give us something to do. Last week's test was supposed to be our last Chemistry test this year."
"I didn't know that." I say surprised.
Class begins and our teacher starts talking about what lab we will be performing today. While my teacher is speaking, I glance over at Diesel to see him drinking something.
"What is that?" I ask in a suspicious whisper that can barely be heard.
He leans near me and whispers, "It's what you call an energy drink. Sometimes people drink them when they fly around at night with a griffin that needs little to no sleep."
I suddenly feel guilty, "I forgot about that again. I bet staying up all hours of the night really does a toll on you."
He nods and we soon begin our lab. His energy drink is quickly finished. It's a lab regulation that there are no drinks or any food around during a lab.
We start mixing some liquids and adding a powdery substance to it. There's only two other people in my group beside Diesel and I. Currently, they are grabbing some tools needed for the lab.
Diesel pulls out a lab ring from one of the drawers and starts talking to me, "So... um... I'm your crush?"
My breath catches in my throat and I nearly drop the beaker in my hand, "What? Who told you?"
He looks down and smiles, "Well, I'm still getting used to this advanced hearing. I might've accidentally overheard you and Wonona talking."
My face feels like it has lost all color.
Diesel suddenly seems shy when he asks, "How long... have you had a crush on me?"
This is embarrassing! Yet... I sort of want to tell him.
I sigh, "Just for a short while before we met as mythical creatures."
"How long is a short while?"
I bite my lip as I admit, "The first day of our freshman year..."
Diesel raises his eyebrows, "Wow, and I thought I was the first one to have feelings."
My eyes widen, "What're you talking about?"
He smiles at me, "I first felt something when I met a lone griffin in the streets of Melark."
I'm more shocked now, "You liked me the first time you met me as a griffin? We were so suspicious of each other though. How?"
Diesel makes sure no one is listening in on us and says, "When I refused to tell you my true name, I was embarrassed to be an alicorn... That was only half of it. I was embarrassed to be an alicorn and nervous about meeting someone I liked that actually shared an unusual ability with me. I didn't know your real name at the time. We only knew each other as Walker and Thea, but I still felt something toward you."
I smile as I think back, and decide to tell him, "It was the same for me too. I started liking two people who were known as Diesel and Walker. Believe it or not, I struggled with who I should actually like, and I chose Walker. Then it was a real shock when I found out those two people were the same person."
He chuckles at this. Not a mocking laugh, but one of shared understanding and relatable interests.
"Looks like we both like each other for who we are, not what we are." Diesel tells me.
"That's exactly what I used to say. I like you for who you are, not what."
But just like that, our conversation is broken up by our lab partners who are setting up the lab burner nearby. Diesel and I exchange a few glance between each other as we work.
Yeah, my feelings toward Diesel have grown, but I can tell he feels the exact same way toward me. We began liking each other even before we realized that the other one did too. If he liked me as far back as when we first met as shifters, then he most likely feels as strongly as I do about him. Which is a lot.
I stir the liquid content in the beaker one last time. One of my lab partners turns on the gas valve, and the gas begins flowing from lab burner.
My partner then uses a striker to light the burner. A small flame puffs alive, and a hidden fear suddenly resurfaces inside me.
Yesterday night at Diesel's house, the bonfire uncovered a fear inside me that I never knew of. It's an uncontrollable fear that was created the night I saved that boy from the burning house. Ever since then, it has unconsciously become a fear that I was not aware of. That is until lately.
My eyes are locked onto the fire. All my instincts scream at me saying that it will jump out toward me and engulf me in its searing heat. The flame wobbles as my lab partner sets the burner underneath the ring that holds the beaker. My eyes can't pull off of the bright fire. I can feel a pulse of warmth from it, but my fear makes it feel more like the first waves of the searing heat that will evidently cover my entire skin.
It's just a small flame. But... but... I have to get out of here!
Walking toward the door as fast as possible, I quickly tell my teacher that I feel sick. Then I go out into the hallway, lean against the wall, and breath as if I have found fresh air.
Why am I so scared of fire?! I wasn't afraid of it when part of town hall blew up. So why is it different now? Did this fear suddenly just rise to the surface or is it only triggered when I'm close to a flame?
The classroom door opens and I internally groan. I don't need my teacher asking if I'm alright.
Instead, it's Cellcy, Wonona, and Diesel who come out. I raise my head as they approach me.
"You okay?" Cellcy asks concerned.
For the second time today, I put a fake smile on my face, "Yeah, just a little dizzy. I think there was a gas leak. All I need is some fresh air."
"You sure?" Cellcy goes on.
I nod and give her a reassuring smile. Wonona glances at Diesel, and that sly smile slides across her face again. Wonona pulls Cellcy back into the classroom, leaving Diesel and I alone.
He turns to me with crossed arms, "You are not okay."
"Ha, you could say that again."
Diesel shakes his head, "I saw how you reacted to the bonfire last night. What's with you and fire?"
I growl, "Apparently, my weakness is fire."
"Huh? So you're scared of fire?" He asks me.
I sigh, "Well, I wasn't... until I saved that boy from the burning house. I don't know how, but it mentally scarred me. Now when I see a flame... it's like... I can't control myself. Some type of unknown fear just emerges from nowhere."
We remain quiet for a few minutes. Neither of us know what to say. The hallway is way too quiet during those moments.
After a long silence, Diesel says, "I'll tell the teacher that you still don't feel well."
I give him a relieved smile, "Thanks, Diesel."
He seems reluctant to leave, but after a few more concerned glances he returns to the Chemistry lab. When the classroom door shuts, I sigh and try to figure out why I'm afraid of fire.
I used to play around a campfire when I was a child. It never scared me, the opposite actually. Instead of fascinating, it now seems untamed and life threatening. The energy and it's power is no longer what it used to be.
The way I feel about fire is so different now, but what bothers me is... how will this affect me in the coming future?
_____________________
Lunch finally comes. My stomach is growling and I'm excited about what I have packed for my meal. It's your average everyday peanut, butter, and jelly sandwich.
Cellcy and Wonona sit across the table from me. They're just now arriving at the table.
"...wonder where Roxanne is." I hear Cellcy ask Wonona.
I glance up at them as they keep talking.
Wonona shrugs, "I don't know. So far she has had perfect attendance this year. She must be really sick or something if she's this close to finishing this school year. Nothing stops her from achieving her perfect attendance."
Oh, I could name a few things that might stop her. Like the crazy man who is currently blackmailing her family.
"Hey." Diesel's voice speaks beside me.
I look up to see Diesel beginning to sit beside me. My cheeks start to heat up knowing that he's about to sit with me during lunch. He could have been with any one of his friends, but he has chosen to be with me.
My happiness is interrupted when Cellcy asks me, "Olivia, have you heard anything from Roxanne?"
"No. Nothing at all." I answer automatically.
Fortunately, my two friends drop the subject. Diesel starts his lunch, but the whole entire time I'm aware of his presence beside me.
Wonona is grinning at the two of us like we're some cute couple or something. The rest of the people around us start to notice that Diesel and I are next to each other as well.
In such a small school as this one, you easily notice who sits with who and who does not speak to who. That's happening right now.
According to the student body, Diesel and I have never communicated with each other or even had any type of interest between us. Of course, the nosy teenagers in Lakview Private Academy would notice that immediately.
Cellcy leans toward the both of us and whispers, "You know there are rumors already going around. Rumor has it that you two are dating."
My face reddens abruptly, and I'm instantly embarrassed. But truthfully, I wouldn't mind being Diesel's... girlfriend.
Wow, that sounds weird. His girlfriend. I sort of like it. It still feels weird anyway, and people are already saying that we're dating?! Come on. This is like the first time people have seen us talk. It's embarrassing.
Diesel has a different attitude though, "Let people think what they think. I don't care. Let them think we're dating."
"Huh?" I look up from my sandwich shocked.
He turns to me and asks an unexpected sentence, "Olivia, will you be my girlfriend?"
My mouth is open in pure surprise. I have to think about what he said three times to make sure he actually said those words. I'm in silent shock. Not sure how to react truthfully.
My senses finally come back to me, "Yes-Yes, I will."
We're now both smiling at each other as if we just won the lottery.
Yeah, it is finally official. It feels so... strange to think that I have a boyfriend. The word itself feels strange on my tongue.
And never did I think it'd be Diesel who would ask me, and neither did I think that he would ask me in the middle of the lunchroom.
I can't be more happy though. The rest of my lunchtime is different from how it began. We steal glances at each other, and every so often we'll talk about something with my friends as if we never just agreed to date each other.
And that's what I like about it. We're friends but also something more than that.
Never did I think that my crush, Diesel Summers, would ask me to be his girlfriend.