Normality

I get ready for school faster than usual. The fact that Walker is actually Diesel still shocks me greatly. For some reason, I want to see him, but that would be dumb to say. Diesel doesn't know that Thea is Olivia Davis. To him I'm just Thea the self centered griffin who he recently had an argument with and is now back on neutral ground with.

During the uneventful ride to school, Felicity seems more quiet than usual. Her usual tired morning attitude is replaced with a stiff nervousness.

"What's wrong?" I suddenly ask her while worrying if I missed out on something important.

She shudders and says, "You know how Mom and Dad have figured out what day I might change into something like you? Well, that day is tomorrow or the day after that. I'm not sure which day though, but I..." She doesn't finish.
"You're scared."

She nods, "I sort of want to be a mythical creature like you, but then again... I don't."

I roll into the parking lot at school and tell her, "I know exactly what you mean. Being a griffin isn't all rainbows and butterflies. Sometimes it's fun but it also comes with responsibility as well. You know that. Remember what happened a few years ago?"

Felicity remains silent. We both remember the horrible night of the nearly fatal accident.

I push the dreadful memory out of my head. The accident had been my fault anyway. I'd rather not think of it though or explain to you what happened on that night so long ago. I might tell you about it one day, but not now.

I park my car. Then I turn off the motor. The radio which had been softly playing in the background goes quiet with the engine. For a few seconds, not a single sound can be heard.

I place my hand on my sister's small shoulder and reassure her, "Felicity, don't dread this. If you become a mythical creature, it's because you have a special destiny. That wouldn't happen if you didn't have the talent for it. You're a strong person, Felicity. If you receive the ability it shows that you are going to do a lot in your lifetime."

I'm very sure that most people don't have conversations like this with their nine year old sister. But since I'm a part-time griffin, life can get pretty unusual.

We both grab our bookbags and get out of the car. I quickly lock the doors, and then we both walk down the short sidewalks that direct us toward the elementary and highschool buildings.

"Thanks for the encouragement, Olivia." Felicity says to me before turning away and heading to her fourth grade class.

She shocks me all the time. My sister is only in fourth grade, but she is smart for her age. It's possible that that is a trait of her mythical creature... if she does shift into one.

I know that I was a really fast runner even before I became a griffin. That was a trait I always possessed and it was probably some type of early sign showing what I would one day become. The downside is that I'm a horrible jogger when I am a griffin. Those crazy bird feet aren't made for such foot action.
_____________________
Oh, look at that! We have a substitute today.

I sit in my usual Chemistry spot. Except, most of the other teens choose different seats, because the substitute will have no idea what their real seating arrangement is.

My eyes are pulled toward Diesel like a magnet. They land on him for a mere second, and then I advert my eyes hoping and wishing he hadn't seen them on him.

Roxanne sits down on the stool beside me. Apparently, she saw where I had previously glanced, and jabs me in the side with her elbow. I then start to jokingly complain to her about how her elbow caused me great pain.