Blindsided

I step up to Roxanne's back door. Before I can tap on the glass, Roxanne is opening the door with a big smile. She obviously heard my loud jet ski and came to greet me.
How could she be a criminal? I myself still can't believe it. There must be some type of mistake.
Roxanne invites me inside without questioning why I am here. Putting a fake smile on my face, I step inside.
The interior of her house is much more fancy than mine. All the houses on this side of the lake are that way. Huge stone fireplace, marble countertops, a crystal chandelier in the entryway, beautiful art, hardwood floors, and 'state of the art' appliances.
I begin talking to Roxanne about something completely random. After a few minutes, I decide to start asking the questions I came here for.
Yes, it is not natural for me to prod into people's privacy, but at times it is necessary.
I already know exactly what I am going to say. Every detail was planned out on the ride over here. My fake story is about to be told.
Starting out slightly nervous, I begin, "Roxanne, the other night Felicity hadn't been feeling well. It was really late at night too. My parents told me to go get some medicine for her at that 24 hour pharmacy. As I was going through town, there were people busting the windows out of the shops."
I watch her reaction to this closely. No emotion is shown toward the 'people busting the windows out' part.
Continuing, I say, "For some reason they drove away suddenly. When they were gone, I got out of my car and picked up a piece of paper on the ground. I had seen one of them drop it before they left."
She is glued to me as I speak. My story so far has been believable. The part where I dove in as a crazy griffin had needed to be cut out.
I then go on to explain, "I... haven't told anyone about the paper I found."
She nods and gives me a look saying that she understands. Whenever I have something on my chest, I tell Roxanne, because she'll be there for me and will keep any and every secret. Right now is no different.
Too bad I have reached the part I dread.
"The note... I looked at it closer..." I stutter, and I can't make myself ask the question.
I don't want to know its answer. What if she is one of the criminals?
But what if she isn't? I once thought that Diesel was one of those destructive people, and that was a big mistake. This could be me making a wrong decision again.
Roxanne waits patiently for me to continue. There is only one way to find out the answer to my question.
"The writing is just like your's. Roxanne..." I take a deep breath and spit out the question, "Are you the one committing all these crimes?"
Her face turns white and a look of fear crosses her face. Dead silence hangs between us. My stomach drops and my blood turns ice cold.
Say no Roxanne. Deny it! Please, don't let the answer be yes. Be the person I know you are! Please, don't turn into someone else. You're my friend. I know everything there is to know about you.
My heart aches. Imagine your own friend being faced with the same question. That one person you would trust your very life with. The tight relationship you have with that person. The good and bad times you've faced together.
It tears my heart wide open when Roxanne replies with the words, "Yes, I am."
An expression of dismay hangs over her. It lays in the air like an invisible fog.
Desperately I tell her, "Roxanne, you don't have to do this. I can help you stop. Whatever it takes, I'll help-"
"Olivia."
That one small word stops me. I lock eyes with her, and then I see an emotion I've never seen on her face before. Regret, sorrow.
Almost as if she can't speak, Roxanne tells me, "Olivia, no one can help me. No one can help us. My whole family is caught in this."
"What... what do you mean?" I ask wondering if there is more to it than meets the eye.
Sighing Roxanne begins, "I'm not sure how it all started, but I first need you to understand that we never wanted to do this. My parents never meant for us to destroy our own hometown. Please, believe me, Olivia."
"I believe you."
Standing up from the sofa, Roxanne starts pacing the room shakily, "It started a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why, but a man... he threatened my family. He told us that he would kill us, unless we did as he said. He's been telling us to go out and do these monstrous things."
A disgusted hatred crosses over her. Then it fades as she goes on.
"He... makes us do this, because he wants to scare away the citizens here. There's some reason for why he does this, but we don't know if he wants to buy the town's property or if there's something in Melark that he wants."
"Who is this man?" I ask her.
She shakes her head. I watch her walk away. I jump up from the sofa and immediately follow.
We end up the kitchen. Shiny marble counter tops glisten in the fading sunlight. Roxanne leans against the island in the center of the massive kitchen. Her head resting in her hands.
"I need something to drink." She goes over to the fridge.
I stay quiet as I watch her pull out a cold bottle of cranberry juice from the fridge.
"Who is this man? There has to be some way we can contact the FBI. Anything." I stumble over my words.
Roxanne grabs for a glass and asks me, "You want some."
"Sure."
I walk over to the large window that looks out over the lake. My arms are crossed.
She keeps avoiding the question. Why? Who is blackmailing her family?
Turning around, I see Roxanne drop something into the trashcan, and then she hands me one of the glasses of red juice. Her hand shakes as she gives it to me.
I've never in my life seen her this way before.
We return to the living room, and I ask, "Where are your parents and brothers?"
"My parents are talking with that horrible man right now. They are ordered to meet with him every so many days. If they don't comply with any of his requests, he will kill us." Roxanne shivers.
I drink some of the juice and ask, "How about your brothers?"
"They're probably in town right now." She takes a sip of her juice to calm herself.
I quickly finish off my glass so I can continue, "Is there anything you can do to get out of this?"
"Olivia, he'll kill us. This man doesn't care who you are or where you're from. He would even kill you, Olivia, if possible. The only way out of this is by... death. It's either obey or be murdered." Roxanne's voice shakes.
"That can't be the only option. The police or someone could be contacted. It can not go on like this, Roxanne." I say feebly.
Nodding very slowly, she whispers, "This was just supposed to be between my family and I. I never meant to get you involved, Olivia."
"I'm your friend. I'm here for you. Don't think it was a mistake that I know now." I try telling her.
"I'm sorry, Olivia."
"Don't be sorry. This wasn't your choice."
Tears form in her eyes and she repeats, "I'm so sorry, Olivia. I never wanted to do this."
Then I suddenly realize that she isn't apologizing for involving me. But for something else.
My head begins to feel lightheaded. Everything starts moving back and forth.
Glancing at the empty juice glass and then back to Roxanne, I mumble groggily, "You... put something... in the drink."
Everything becomes a dizzying blur and I close my eyes tightly trying to stay focused. My head swims and a migraine suddenly explodes in my head.
What did you do, Roxanne? What did you do?
'I'm sorry.' Are the the last words I hear as I slump sideways and lose all consciousness.