Wings

I step out onto the cool grass of the park. The crisp night air drifts around me as I sit on a large tree stump. My talons pluck at the bark. An impatient feeling is growing in me. Walker was supposed to be here ten minutes ago.

My Saturday was interesting. Felicity did everything imaginable. We went fishing, bike riding, running, exploring, and some other random stuff that she decided for us to do. Of course, her attempts to tire me were useless.

I smile as I think back on the day's activities, but my thoughts are interrupted when I begin to hear wings flapping overhead.

Walker lands heavily with a rush of wind caused by his jet black wings. His nostrils flare as he folds his huge feathery wings. The fangs in his mouth are sticking out from under his lip. With a flick of his tail he walks toward me.

"What's up? Why're you late?" I greet him a little too cheerfully.

He sighs, "How can you stay up so late without being tired?"

"I just can," I state.

I quickly continue, "You're just like me. How are you tired? I only need three hours of sleep each night."

"Three hours?! There's no way I could do that every single night!" He pulls his head back shocked.

"Hmm... maybe it's just me... Whatever. Where should we check tonight?" I ask excitedly.

"We ought to check out the places that have been targeted already. Maybe we can find some clues or figure out what the events may have in common."

I smile, "Good idea."

He opens his wings and starts to gallop forward. Walker immediately stops to glance back at me when I stay put.

"You comin' slow poke?" He jokes.

I stare up at the sky, "I'm not much of a flyer, Walker."

"Thea, you have wings. They're there for a specific reason. How can you not fly?" He asks me as if there's an easy answer.

I'm only good at running. I don't fly, because bad things happen when I do.

I don't like to show any signs of weakness to someone I have just met. Plus, we are partners now, right? I need to make a few changes, even if I have to overcome the painful memories that are being dug up from the past.

Very hesitantly, I spread my folded wings. From wing-tip to wing-tip they are twenty feet long. Walker's wings are larger and slightly longer.

He starts to gallop forward, and within seconds he's up in the air. I follow more slowly as I build up my feeble courage, but deep inside I hate what I am doing. Flying is one of the few things I truly disown. Making myself do something that I despise is like trying to move a brick wall. It takes all of my determination.

My eagle feet trip me up, but I somehow catch air once I jump upward with my strong hind legs. I flap hard so I can catch up with the black alicorn far ahead of me. My wings are so stiff from being rarely used. Each beat of my wings brings me strain and exhaustion. It's hard for me to keep balance since I'm unsure how to fly. It's been... years since I've flown. I begin to wonder if my pathetic flying will cause me to drop to my death.