Search

I walk out of school. An overwhelming joy fills me as I realize that the weekend has officially begun.

Plus, it has been four days since the night of the house fire. I've spoken with my parents, and they finally agreed to let me go back out tonight.

All the teenagers from my school have that Friday evening attitude on. All the girls are heading to basketball practice. The guys on the other hand are horse-playing around.

As if on cue my eyes automatically find Diesel. He isn't being wild with the other guys, but neither is he letting himself be left out. My eyes stay on the group too long, and Diesel somehow notices my onlooking.

I immediately look away when we accidentally make eye contact. My face starts to heat up from my embarrassment. I quickly pull out my phone so I have an excuse to look at something. I can feel Diesel's eyes linger on me for a while before turning away.

What's wrong with you, Olivia? Don't stare! You know better!

A few long minutes later my sister walks out of the elementary building. Felicity has the same happy Friday evening expression too.

We don't stay there much longer. There are things we both want to do.

As I unlock my Toyota, I look across the rows of cars to see Roxanne leaning against her car with a downcast expression. I tell Felicity to put her bookbag in the trunk as I walk over to Roxane.

"Hey, what's up? Is everything okay?" I ask while approaching her.

She puts on a fake smile and looks up at me, "Yeah, I'm just sort of tired."

I raise an eyebrow, "There's something else bothering you. Now, tell me. We've known each other for ten years, and we're basically just like sisters. There's no use hiding anything."

Roxanne shrugs, "It's family issues. My parents got new jobs so that I could still come to school here. They're not good jobs, but it's more than enough to pay for the tuition."

"Well, I'm glad for that. I hope these jobs work out. You know how new jobs can be challenging."

"Yeah, I sure know. Thanks for being there for me, Olivia." She quickly gives me a hug then leaves in her car.

Hmmm... Roxanne usually doesn't voice her concerns in that way. Must be pretty bad if she's saying it like that.

I return to my car, and soon forget the conversation with my best friend.

When we're driving down the main street in town, Felicity suddenly asks me to stop by one of the shops so she can pick up a bulletin.

"Why do you want one of those?" I give her a confused look as I pull up to the front of a dollar store.

She hops out before she can listen to or answer my question. I sit there in the car with my arms crossed. Then I turn up the radio and wait for my sister to return.

Four minutes later, I'm backing out of the parking space with Felicity in the passenger seat reading the daily newspaper.

"Thinking about being a journalist, eh?" I joke with her.

"No." She states dryly without looking up.

I wait a minute before continuing, "Go ahead. Tell me why you bought that then."

She glances up, "Olivia, ever since that house fire on Monday night there has been some sort of vandalism in town. Doesn't that seem a bit unusual?"

She's so smart for a nine years old kid.

"I guess it does seem a bit weird, but it's probably just some guy asking for trouble." I say to her.