Noted

Felicity nods along with the beat of the music that flows from the speakers.
I keep my eyes on the road as I steer. A few hours ago I said goodbye to my best friend. My usual three hours of sleep helped me diffuse the sadness in a way. Though the pain still holds a place in my heart.
Roxanne is safe from Takolize now. Why be sad?
Sighing, I start enjoying the music with Felicity. Though it isn't easy.
"What's wrong, Miss Sad-Sack? We literally have two more days of school.", Felicity asks me jokingly.
I put on a smile, "I've just had a lot going on lately."
My sisters goes on, "You and Diesel have been hanging out at night. Of course you have a lot going on."
Shaking my head, I growl, "It's not that..."
"Is it something mom and dad should know about?" She taunts.
"No- wait, you didn't tell them that Diesel's a shape-"
Felicity rolls her eyes, "No. But they probably need to know. It might give them peace of mind if they knew you were not the only half human mythical creature."
I nod, "Believe me, I've wanted to tell them since the day I stumbled upon an alicorn in the woods. It's been eating at me ever since. I'm planning on telling them... soon."
School comes into sight. The red brick walls and trimmed landscaping seem like a refuge compared to deteriorating old mansions where people are held hostage.
_____________________
With just two full days of school left, everyone is acting carefree and a little too rambunctious.
I reach homeroom only to dodge a paper airplane coming right at me. As it sails past my shoulder, I grab it mid-flight. Someone across the room sighs when they see me capture it.
I love how we're sophomores, but we're crafting paper airplanes like we're eleven.
Letting my playfulness take over, I send the airplane soaring across the room toward where the downhearted sigh had come from.
As it effortlessly glides across the room, my thoughts go to how exhilarating true flight is like. The wind under my wings, the air blowing in my face, the weightlessness of it all, and the wild freedom inside you. It's a thing that I would never give away.
And to think that only a few days ago I hated flying so much that it made me sick every time I thought of it.
The paper plane lands on the desk of the owner who made it. It's right then when I realize who made it.
"Good morning." Diesel smiles up at me.
I snatch away his plane and inspect it closer, "I could never perfect the art of airplane making. Mine always turn out big and awkward. Your's is straight and sleek. Must be a guy thing."
He leans toward me and whispers, "Why be upset over that when you know that you can actually fly? Isn't that cooler than making folded paper glide across the room?"
"You have a point there." I hand the airplane back to him.
Diesel throws the plane toward one of his friends, "Just two more days of school. Unless you count today as well."
It's currently Wednesday. So I actually have today, tomorrow, and Friday to go.
"You'll definitely get to sleep more in the summer." I point out as the airplane automatically returns to us.
He grabs it as it lands, "Yeah, it's been tough living off three hours of sleep. I wish I had your gift."
Before I can reply to that he continues, "What happened after I left last night...? Well, actually it wasn't last night. It was this morning. Anyway, how did things go?"
I shake my head, "We just said our goodbyes. That's all."
He nods solemnly, "I wonder how things went when they confronted the police."
"Hopefully, it went well." I shrug halfheartedly.
_____________________
The school day passes as expected. We take a few last tests, and help out with anything that needs to be dealt with before the school year ends.
But keep in mind, the whole school has that excited air about it.
Even Diana is being less troublesome. Though I do catch a few wicked glances from her as she passes Diesel and I. From that look in her jealous gaze, I can tell she would like to add in her own two cent.
The rumor about Diesel and I dating has probably reached every part of Lakeview Private Academy. If it was the middle of the school year right now, I would be worrying about more nasty rumors starting, but since we're ending school in a few days I don't actually care.
My heart sinks like an anchor whenever someone questions Roxanne's absence or if one of my fellow friends asks me if I've heard from her lately. Those questions are usually answered with an 'I don't know' or a 'Nope, haven't spoken to her'.
But like most things, people move on to different topics because they naturally assume that Roxanne is sick. Little do they know that she is far from that.
I wish Takolize had never bothered her family. She would be here at school right now if it wasn't for that. Why? Why did this have to happen to her? She nor her family deserved to be blackmailed.
But I must also remember that Roxanne and her family did bad things in return. Vandalizing the town and hurting people in the process as well. Yes, she was blackmailed, but she also did wrong things.
I'm not sure if the certain things they did were specifically ordered by Takolize or if they randomly chose what they would ruin. I hope it isn't the later. I hope it wasn't their choice when it came to the topic of a crime.
I will never know.
_____________________
"See you tomorrow!"
I wave back at Cellcy, "Yeah, see you later."
Wonona gives me a poke as she passes and starts talking as she walks toward her car, "Hey, tell me if you hear anything from Roxanne. I keep texting her, but she's not replying."
"Same. I haven't gotten any replies. She probably hasn't paid her phone bill or something." I tell Wonona.
Wonona points a finger at me, "That's likely what happened. Anyway, I'll catch you later."
"Bye." I smile back before slipping into my car.
When in the driver's seat, I grab the steering wheel and rest my forehead upon it. A sigh escapes me.
I've been lying so much lately. Not only am I covering up for Roxanne, I have kept the whole 'nighttime investigations' thing from my parents. Though I doubt I'll ever tell them about that. I'd be dead. I have also remained quiet about Diesel being half mythical like me.
It's not in my nature to keep secrets from my parents or to lie right in someone's face.
It would seem that way to you, since I've hidden the fact that I'm a griffin for the past seven years of my life. My family already knew about that though, and it's not like I have to lie to others about that topic. I only have to keep it a secret. Nobody is going to go around asking whether I'm a griffin or not.
All in all, I'm not used to lying.
Yes, I can do it successfully, but it's wearing me down.
I pull the keys out of my pocket and crank the car. Then I turn the air conditioning on. Cool air fills the car after a few seconds.
For late May, it's already pretty hot.
Well, guess I ought to go pick up Felicity now. She'll be wondering where I am.
_____________________
I've been waiting so long for this day to end. All through the day, I've been looking forward to flying in the skies and hanging out with the local alicorn.
Well, not just an alicorn... my boyfriend actually.
Wow, I still can't get used to that phrase. It's so foreign for me to handle.
My wings streak out by my sides as air flows underneath them. The sawmill comes into sight quickly, and I make a dive downward with my wings tucked against my body.
Gravity does its work as I free-fall for hundreds of feet. The ground flies toward me as I drop dozens of feet by the second. The night surrounds me as I fall from the lightless sky. My feathers rustle in the wind.
Right before my action becomes too dangerous. My wings jerk open and cushion my decent. The air pulls my wings back harshly, and for a mere ten seconds my wings hurt as they hold me back. The fast drop eventually slows to an easy glide.
The sawmill appears lifeless as it usually does at night. The one lone light stays on inside the office building. I wonder how often they have to switch out that light bulb.
The clomping of hoofs come from behind, I turn to see the half unicorn, half pegasus approaching me. Huge wings, long horn, white fangs, and a completely black body.
He snorts, "I think we need to check out the quarry to see what's happened during the day. I wonder if Roxanne's family told the police about how Takolize had a camp there. You watched the six o'clock news, right?"
I nod solemnly as the memory of today's evening news recalls itself.
The news reporter with her fancy hairdo sits at the desk announcing, "The criminals vandalizing the small town of Melark have been detained, but the case concerning them is still being investigated. All information about the criminals have been withheld from the public so far."
I shudder at the thought of how my friend and her family are being called criminals, but to the citizens of this town they are rotten criminals who deserve prison. They don't know that those criminals are actually an innocent family who was blackmailed into doing horrendous acts against their hometown.
"Yeah, I watched it." I reply to Diesel as we take to the skies.
Minutes later we land in the woods surrounding the quarry. Darkness engulfs us as we plunge into the cover of the trees.
Cautiously, we edge toward the area of the quarry. Our feet are silent as we walk along the forest floor. Insects sing in the limbs above us. A lonely owl hoots off in the distance.
The quarry comes into sight, but suspicion immediately arises inside me.
There aren't any bright luminescent lights scouring the quarry. It's completely dark. Not a single glimpse of light can be seen.
Diesel and I make eye contact then we continue onward. Our discretion is needed in this suspicious situation.
The quarry finally comes clearly and fully into sight. Shock fills me as I stare from my crouched position.
Nothing remains. The two campers, the many oil drums, the oils well, and any other items have disappeared.
Diesel growls, "Either those cops really swept this place clean or Takolize packed his stuff up really fast."
"I think it's safe enough to investigate. Come on." I gesture toward the quarry with my wings.
Low to the ground, I approach the edge of the woods. My eyes scan the open clearing where nothing remains beside the red mud that covers the entire area.
There's nothing to be seen, scented, or heard. Okay, it's safe.
Entering the clearing, I walk toward the center where the armed guards once stood twenty-four hours ago. Their faint scent rises from the ground beneath me. I scan the area for any clues as my talons sink into the soft red clay beneath me.
"The police wouldn't have moved all this evidence this fast." I announce as Diesel approaches from behind me.
He fangs seem to gleam as he speaks, "This means that Takolize is still out there."
All our work for nothing! We saved my friend, but couldn't we have taken down the enemy at the same time?
Together, Diesel and I start to search for any remaining clues that may give use information of what happened to Takolize and his men.
I choose the opposite side of the quarry as Diesel chooses the area where the campers once rested.
After a few minutes Diesel shouts at me from far away, "Olivia, get over here fast."
Part running, part flying, and part stumbling on my eagle feet, I head toward Diesel. I skid to a halt as I reach him.
Pointing with his horn to an object on the ground, he says to me, "Pick it up. I can't do it with hoofs."
Well, you could just shift to a human so you have hands.
But then again, anyone could be watching us. I had felt someone's gaze on me the other night when Diesel and were at the park, remember?
I use my eagle feet as hands as I pick up a small envelope. One of my talons easily slices open the sealed letter.
Delicately, I pull out what looks like a picture. My eyes stare at it for what seems like forever. My breath catches in my throat as fear squeezes my heart tightly.
The picture is of me. No, I'm not a human, but a griffin. In the picture fear covers my entire eagle face.
"They must've taken this photo when I was caught in the trance last night.", I say to Diesel who's looking over my shoulder.
He nods his head, "Is there anything on the back?"
I flip over the photo to see a note.
It says, 'Be at lake dam within an hour or else-'
"Well, that's not the least bit suspicious." I huff dramatically.
I continue on, "They said 'or else-'. Should we go check it out?"
"It's a big ol' trap, Olivia."
"I know, but they said 'or else'. It could mean anything. Plus, they know that there's a griffin running around Melark now. We need to check this out, but not blindly."
He gives me a smile and his fangs look pearlescent in the faint moonlight, "Okay, let's do this. Let me call some backup first."
Backup? Who do we know would be classified as backup?