Chapter 9

All I could do was sob. Not tiny princess sobs, ugly sobs that made me sound like a dying whale gasping for air. In a way that was just what I was. Dying. I was gasping for relief from the ache in my heart that noe consumed my entire being. Maariah sat next to me and whispered 'it's okay' until she was sure that neither of us believed it. It wasn't okay. Even she had to admit that it had been exciting when Zaid had walked in and given the flicker of hope that an 'us' might exist one day. I was heartbroken, and unlike before, this was real. Real, salty heartbreak. No poetry, no piece of writing, my art that broke the tip of my pencil could revive my spirit. I had been denied the Happily Ever After I'd wanted, with the guy I had always wanted to be my Prince Charming, but even princesses make mistakes sometimes. Maybe there was someone else out there who was destined for me and would love me for who I am. Someone who cared. Someone who made dua for an us. Despite everything, I had to lift my head up and deal with it. What hurt most was that love doesn't just fade away, and it isn't a choice. Erasing the thousands of hopes and aspirations, the dreams and fantasies, the cheesy moments and imagined arguments, was beyond my capability. Eradicating lust is a challenge that rewards you with a scar of victory, but to rid yourself of love is best rewarded with a scar of hurt, sorrow and defeat.