Chapter 45

MAARIAH'S POV

"Right now," the lady at the front desk asked. Her hair was pulled into a tight, ballet bun and her red dress matched her scarlet nails. Her frown intensified until the roots of her hair looked as if they were about to snap off her head.

"Right now," I clarified.

"Ma'am, you're old enough to abort without parental consent, but I need you to tell me the details before I send you through. The clinic isn't busy today, so as soon as we write down all this information, you're set to go in," she said formally. Her disapproval had disappeared and she maintained her business-like demeanour.

"Don't ask me questions. Here's the details. My name is Maariah Motala. I'm three months pregnant and it was an accident. The father doesn't know about his child and he wouldn't want it anyway. It was a one night stand type of thing. I'd like to keep the father's identity secret. Now, can I go through?"

"Just fill out these forms and go in. The doctor will be there. Good luck ma'am," she smiled.

I scribbled down the details of my life and my pregnancy hurriedly and rushed to the doctor's room. A lady in a black suit awaited me, and her friendly demeanour made me feel at ease. She smiled and told me that she would just be a minute as she was preparing her tools. She turned around and her blonde hair cascaded down her back in large ringlets. I focused on each curl instead of the curve of my belly that would soon disappear.

"Right, so what I'll be doing is giving you some pain relief pills, and since you're not too late into the pregnancy, I don't think I'll need to sedate you. First, I'll do an ultrasound though, just to see the growth of the tissue. Then, I'll use a suction machine to suction the tissue out of your uterus and if there's anything left, I'll have to insert a little metal device to scoop out the rest. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt at all. Just be strong," she explained.

I wanted to scream at her and tell her that she wouldn't see the growth of the "tissue" or remove the "tissue," because that tissue was my child.

The ultrasound flashed onto the screen and I could see the foetus's distinct shape. The curve of its delicate back, the long webbed hands and tiny fingernails, and the little earlobes on its tiny head all made me want to pull the foetus out the ultrasound and into my arms.

"Darling, I'm going to use this," she announced, holding up the suction machine, "to pull out the tissue. Take these pills and we'll wait about ten minutes before we begin."

I swallowed the tablets and picked up my phone.

85 messages.

Each one read, "Where are you?!"

Every message was from Danyaal.

DANYAAL'S POV

Where was Maariah?

I had come home after my meeting with Nabeel to find the house empty and the BMW gone. I had panicked, and sent Maariah messages asking her where she was, but her phone was switched off.

After I had calmed down slightly, I realised that the BMW had a tracker connected to my father's phone.

The phone rang and rang, and finally, my father picked up.

"Hellosalamualaikum," my father answered.

"Wa Alaikumus Salaam Abba. I need to use your phone. I need the BMW tracker."

"Why the heck would you?!" my father's voice began to rise.

"I just need it. Please Abba, it's urgent."

"Okay, log onto the BMW Tracker website. The password is 248304738. When I get home, I want an explanation," he retorted and slammed down the phone.