Epilogue - A Year Later

HUSNA'S POV

"Babe, I'm going to Checkers. Anything I need to get you?"

I was in the shower when Zaid called to ask if I needed anything. I turned off the shower and yelled, "Just the grocery list on the fridge, sweetheart. Oh, and get me a Kit-Kat. I'm craving it."

Once I was done in the shower, I headed to my bedroom and picked up a book. Money was tight and we couldn't afford anything but our tiny one bedroom house, with a kitchenette and a joined dining and lounge area, but I was content. Regardless of all the struggles we went through every day as we counted every penny and saved even the 10c change in a jar, I knew that Allah had blessed me with something and someone that not even a million dollars could buy.

Time flew by as minutes blurred into hours, and I wondered where Zaid was. Checkers was five minutes away. Had something happened? I picked up my cell phone, my heart beating so quickly I felt it would burst, and dialled his number. It went through to voicemail.

Why wasn't he answering? Had their been an accident? I could easily walk the distance to Checkers and back. I slipped on a Hijab, abaya and pardah and left the house, only to see Zaid's car approach.

As soon as he had parked his car, I yelled at him to get out and tell my why he had taken so long.

"I was getting what you wanted," he protested, his bottom lip quivering as he pulled the puppy dog face. I knew that I had been defeated. I could never be angry at his puppy dog face.

"Just bring the groceries inside," I sighed.

He pulled out packets from the car boot and once the boot was empty, I was about to lock the car, when he told me that he had my treat in the back seat. I was baffled. Why put one Kit-Kat in the back seat? I opened the door to the backseat and yelped.

"Zaid! Why is there a tiny kitten in a box here?!" I queried.

"Urm, you said you wanted a cat just before I left, so I went to get you one," he said, baffled.

"I asked for a Kit-Kat, babe," I giggled. "But this is even better!"

I lifted the tiny, snow white ball of fur out of its box and brought it to my chest. It was so tiny I could hold it in the palm of one hand.

"I love you so much Zaid. So, so much. You'll never understand," I said.

"I love you more," he replied, kissing my forehead.

"I love you most."

"Let's get this kitty to our room now, shall we?" he said to me.

"I'll do that, but I really do want that Kit-Kat hey," I grinned.

"What's with the cravings? You've asked for chocolate every day for the past two weeks. You pregnant or something?"

"I don't know," I pouted. "We can't afford it right now. I can't be."

"There's a preggy test in the bathroom. I kept it there for the best day of our life. Don't worry about the cost of a baby. Trust me... Actually, no, trust Allah. He will provide," Zaid said.

I slipped into the bathroom and returned moments later, pregnancy test in my hand.

He grabbed it from me and pulled me into a bear hug.

"Husna, babe, darling, sweetheart, habibti," he squealed. "Guess what? You're pregnant!"

"I know," I grinned, my head against his heart. I listened to his heartbeat, knowing full well that I was that beat, for he was mine too.