Chapter 39

MAARIAH'S POV

My brother deserved to know. I knew that if I told him, he would be angry, but he would still be supportive of whatever I chose to do. Not that there was much choice.

I was contemplating calling Danyaal when suddenly the door opened and he entered, a smile plastered on his face.

He walked over to me, planted a kiss on my forehead and told me, "It's going to be okay."

"Danyaal, it's not okay. My reputation is ruined, I won't get married, and I'll never have the chance to be a mother. I love children Danyaal. I'll never ever hold my own in my arms."

"Of course you will, Maariah. One day you're going to be married to an amazing man, have the most beautiful children and be the perfect family. Actually, you're going to hold your own in your arms sooner than you expected. That right there," he paused to press his hand on my tummy, "is going to be your greatest bundle of joy. I can't wait to meet my niece or nephew."

I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to fake happiness. I knew that he was worried. I knew that this was the worst possible situation.

"Danyaal, what do I do?"

"You have to be brave, Maariah. You made a mistake and you have to take full responsibility for it. We'll have to tell Abba and Ummi, but we need to decide about the father now. Nevermind who he is, does he know?"

"He doesn't Danyaal. It's a very sticky situation and he can't know," I retorted.

"He has to know, and we'll find a way to tell him. I'll work on that. Whenever you're ready to tell me who he is, I'm here," he said gently.

"I have to tell you who it is. God, there's no other way. It's... It's... It's... Nabeel Vaid."

Danyaal's hand flew to his mouth. He gasped. I have never seen him look so shocked, perturbed and worried at once.

"S***, Husna!" he exclaimed. He hadn't sworn in years. I wondered if this was worse than I had assumed.

"Maariah, Maariah, Maariah. How can I tell a man that's about to get married to someone that he is going to have a child with someone else? How will his future wife deal with it?" he cried.

"I don't know Danyaal. I really don't know."