Chapter 59

ZAID'S POV

I hadn't seen Hafsa since our proposal day, yet I was beyond excited for the wedding. The nerves as well as the joy filled me with a sudden inability to sit still, so I spent most of my day outside playing sports or doing physical fitness, because not only did it calm me down, but it also built up my muscles and made me a lot more confident. As I stood in front of the mirror that Saturday morning, I flexed my biceps and grinned cheekily. I couldn't wait to show them off to my new wife.

The phone rang and I sprinted downstairs to answer the call. Usually I would avoid picking up the phone because it meant an unless stream of gossip and panchaat from the older ladies, but nowadays anything that kept me from sitting down was good enough to be done. Yet, when I picked up the phone, it was certainly not an Aunty waiting to gossip about who's daughter had been caught at the mall with a boy. It was a man whose very voice caused shivers to run up my spine.

"Assalamualaikum," he said.

"Wa Alaykumus Salaam, Uncle Sulaimaan," I coughed.

"Zaid? Could you please do me a favour? Can we come over at 3 o clock today? We need to discuss some things."

"Jee jee, no problem, Uncle. My parents will be home."

"Jazakallah. I'll see you later. Assalamualaikum."

He clicked the phone down before I could respond, and I grinned excitedly. My future father in law had just called to arrange for a family meeting. What could the news possibly be? I was overjoyed. If it meant that the wedding date could be pushed sooner, I would more than happily oblige.

I skipped to my parents' room and informed them of the meeting. My mother hurried to make preparations while I exercised once again and adorned myself with my best clothes. I watched the clock tick slowly as 3 o clock drew nearer and nearer.

I simply could not wait to see Hafsa.