Heavy hangs the head

"Just a little further Derrick come on." We trek up the dirt incline towards my dad's secret hide out.

"Luna where exactly are we going and why couldn't we have taken the car up this far?"

Once we reach the top Dad's cottage comes into view, and if I could've run to it I would've.

Sighing at the sight Derrick looks around to make sure we're the only ones here. "All clear."

"I believe it. Dad probably went out hunting-don't touch that!" I shout yanking Derrick by the arm.

"What it's just a deer head." He says nonchalantly.

I pick up a rock tossing it over there and a bear trap springs up crushing the skull.

"Yeah totally harmless." I say dryly.

We walk up to the cottage but I motion for Derrick to step back, this whole place could potentially be a death trap for animals. I didn't know it then but now I understand it's to keep Weres away.

"Luna I have a bad feeling about this."

"Relax, I can crack the code." Shaking off my nerves I knock three times, pull a flower up from a vase, and press my hand to the door so it can get my fingerprints.

Covering my face with my hands and holding my breath a gas is sprayed at me before the door opens.

"Luna that's Wolf's Bane!" Derrick races to get to me but I kick him back making him fall down the porch.

Scurrying inside to my right are two gas masks I take one and hand the other to him.

"What is all of this for?"

Shutting the door behind us I flip a switch to clear the air inside and turn on the lights.

"For security purposes, should we ever be attacked."

He drops his mask first taking a deep breath in giving me the OK. I remove mine too heading for the stairs to check the surveillance cameras.

"Sophia?"

"Dad!" I exclaim. He pulls me in a hug tearing up a bit. I can't hold in the happiness I feel seeing my dad.

"It's been too long old man." I blubber wiping my tears away.

"You're telling me? Look at you! How the hell you still able to kick that hard with my grandkid in there?" He chuckles poking my belly.

"How far along are you?"

"5 months."

"Wow." He breathes. "4 more to go."

Don't remind me.

"Uhuh."

He stares at me for a little while longer studying my face before Derrick walks up the stairs, "Luna you okay?"

"Yeah I'm in the surveillance room with my dad." I call.

He walks in smiling extending his hand for dad to shake. "I'm guessing you're friend and not foe?"

"Yes sir I'm a friend and guardian."

"My baby is going to be like him you know. Half pure half human."

"Is that so?" My dad eyes him suspiciously. "That would explain why the Wolf's Bane coated on the ground didn't burn you."

Oh I didn't know that.

"Lucky me huh?"

"Yeah, lucky." He turns back to me taking my hands, "Sophia now that I've had my moment with you there is someone waiting to see you."

My eyebrows knit together in confusion as we walk down a hallway stopping at a silver door secured shut. The only way in or out is a code, my mom's name.

"S-t-a-c-i-a. May she rest in peace."

All three of us walk in down the corridor, in the distance an animal snarls and thrashes around shaking chains.

"What is that?" I whisper. At the sound of my voice it howls long and loud.

"Promise me, both of you. You won't be afraid when you see him."

Derrick and I nod. We round the corner and there in a metal prison with shatter proof glass for a window is a wolf.

Golden dirty fur and a black ripped ear. My heart leaps to my throat, my legs buckle beneath me but Derrick catches me.

Regaining my strength I press my face to the glass sobbing, "What did they do to you?"

He shifts back and I can see just how much damage has been done. Chunks of skin are missing and oozing blood, part of his ear is gone, and there are raw chain marks across his neck, wrists, and ankles.

"Oh my God." I gasp.

"Sophia I found him. Hunters were passing through and thought stopping here was a great idea. Course I wasn't going to let them leave with a Were who's badly beaten. So I took him, quickly realized it was Tristan but he's not himself. This is the first time I've seen him shift back since I found him. He hasn't let me close enough to heal his wounds."

Looking at my mate pulls at my chest, how worn and lifeless he looks. I'm not scared of him, but I'm sad.

"Let me go in."

"Luna no are you crazy? Look at him, he's too far gone right now. What if he hurts you or the baby?" Derrick protests.

"Listen I am going in there whether you like it or not. That's my mate and the father of my child. I lost him once and I refuse to let it happen again."

Derrick huffs turning to my dad for support. "You're just gonna let her go?"

He shrugs,"The girl is hard headed. I've trained her well, she can handle herself."

"Unbelievable, then fine. I'm coming in with you." I type in the code to the room taking cautious steps inside.

Tristan's eyes are completely black, not a glimmer of white insight. "Tristan? I just want to clean your wounds okay? Can I do that?"

He doesn't respond just stares off into space."Okay." Taking a deep breath I step cautiously towards him. He doesn't budge.

When Derrick takes a step Tristan twists his face up in a snarl, his teeth elongate, and his body begins to tremble.

"Uh Derrick don't. I think he knows my scent but doesn't recognize yours. Just stay back." He nods pacing back and forth but not coming any closer.

Once I'm close enough to touch Tristan he looks down at me. It happens so fast my mind doesn't register right away. He bites down hard on my shoulder.

Derrick yells ripping me away locking the door behind us. My breath is labored as I focus on the burning sensation I feel trickling up my arm.

"Luna! Sophia! No dammit stay with me! Sophia please!" Derrick cries. His tear drops fall on my cheek helping me to stay focused.

"He bit me." I whisper. Derrick cradles me in his arms. My dad rushes to clean the wound.

"Sophia, you sure he bit you there's no mark?" My dad searches my shoulder pulling my shirt in every direction to get a clear view.

"Sir I'm positive he did."

"My baby." I mouth. "It healed me."

"That's bad ass." My dad grumbles. They help me up looking me over for any other marks finding none.

All of us stare at the beast thrashing around wildly banging his fist and screaming through the glass.

"I can't take seeing him like this. Let's go." With one final look back Tristan howls scratching to be set free.