Prologue

[ Sage's Pov ]

IT felt as if I was falling in slow motion as the nightmare popped up into my brain, I wish I could stand up and scream, but I couldn't. It was as if I was paralysed and all I could do was watch as I fell; it felt terrible. Soon I felt myself getting sucked into the memory as it played out in my mind, I remember coming up with a clear round until one jump, the horseshoe. I looked between my horse, Eden's ears as we came up to the jump; she had never been fond of the horseshoe so I had to keep my leg on her as we came up to the jump. I could feel her try to pull away but I cooed softly to her, counting her strides. I got up into two-point as we started to fly through the air, but I could feel Eden trip up as she took off, a large whinny escaping her mouth as her head flew up. This made me look down and put us off of balance and everything seemed to go in slow motion as we started fall rapidly, the gasps of the crowd could be heard as we hit the ground, the sand flew up into the air and I could feel a sharp pain in my side. I couldn't breathe, I could feel a weight on top of me and I wanted to look, but it was as if I couldn't open my eyes and I didn't know why. once I could open my eyes Eden had been moved off of me somehow and the only thing I could hear was her distant whinnies and pained cries. What happened? Is she alright? Is my horse alright? I didn't care what happened to me, I just wanted to know that she was alright. 

My nightmare was interrupted by my mother, shaking me awake with a worried look on her face as tears stained her pale cheeks. I was covered in a thin layer of sweat and I quickly jolted up to look in the mirror to see that my cheeks were stained with tears also. My mum looked over, "Are you sure you're okay Sweetie?" She asked, her breathing increasing as I simply nodded, lying quite obviously. My mother shook her head, telling me to get ready for my counselling appointment. It had been a year since the accident and I still missed her and blamed myself for what happend, I shouldn't of made Eden do the jump, if I had just let her pull away she wouldn't have gotten so hurt. 

I sighed, going to the bathroom and washing my face before taking a shower. After my shower I quickly slipped on my favourite set of grey calvin klein underwear and sports bra before slipping on black jeans and a slightly see through black top and some socks. I tied my strawberry blonde hair back into a low ponytail out of pure habit before going downstairs and shoving on my white vans. 

After getting fully ready I shuffled to the kitchen and grabbed an apple, biting into the green apple and savouring the flavour. I had never liked red apples, they were way to sweet whereas green apples were slightly sour with some sweetness. It was a good mix. After grabbing a packet of salt and vinegar chips I quickly rushed out the door, shoving my white iphone five into my pocket and getting into the car. I did up my seatbelt quickly before continuing to eat my apple as mum started up the car, driving to the counsellor office.

The ride was so quiet it was irritating, but I didn't speak as it'd turn into an argument.

   [ thirty minutes later ]

I finished explaining my dream to the counsellor seeing as it continued to haunt me to this day, she nodded before taking down a few notes and then looking up to me with a large sigh, "Sage, your mother and I have discussed this reoccuring dream and we think it'd be best if you were to face it head on," The counsellor paused, looking over to my mum for confirmination to continue and once she had it she continued, "A stable called Canterbury Crest is willing to accept you into their ranks and allow you to choose a horse to ride, we just need to you agree." She tried to smile, but she already knew of what I was about to do.

"What?!" I yelled, jumping to my feet in complete and utter fury, as much as I wished to be in the saddle I couldn't go back there, I was too fearful of what might happen. I started to walk out, the voices of my counsellor and mother drowned out as thoughts swarmed into my brain. I felt my eyes growing heavy and I once again couldn't breathe as I started to hear the buzzing of bees in my head. I started to stumble around and trip up, before I gripped onto a wall, catching myself for a moment before everything went black. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope you enjoyed the short prologue ;)

- Kat xx