Visit

In the car, I sat in between Hunter and Justin this time. Sean still sat up front.

It was about a fifteen minute drive until we reached the hospital where Brody and Cody's father worked. It was also the hospital in which I'd been in one too many times. It felt nice to be in a place I recognized though.

The driver had become a decent friend towards us and we thanked him for the long ride. Echo handed him a pack of gum she had bought, I'm guessing in thanks. He took it with a smile and we all said our final goodbyes.

I don't know when but sometime in the night, Neon had put the dog in the trunk. I'm guessing she didn't like the fact that he was on her lap.

I hadn't even noticed he was gone the whole gas station trip until we were all about to exit the vehicle when Hunter asked where his dog was.

Neon casually explained that she'd put him in the trunk. She would have never had time to get out and go all the way around the car, open the trunk, and put the dog in while we were all asleep and driving.

But it all added up when she pointed out a cubby hole in the back of her seat. It was a foldable cup holder but when folded out, it reveals a small hole to the trunk. She obviously had shoved him in there without a care.

Hunter was upset with her but not enough to excuse the fact of his relief.

Before heading in, we saved the dog from the trunk, waved to the driver, and we all headed in with out luggage.

At the front desk, Sean took charge of the speaking. "Mr. Reyes." He requested simply.

The old front desk worker took a moment to click through a few things on her computer before looking up at him.

"Sorry, Mr. Reyes isn't working today. He'll be taking a shift tomorrow though. Would you like me to schedule you?"

Sean thought for a moment. "Uh...no thank you, ma'am. We'll figure it out."

He then turned around and walked out of the exit doors, expectant in us all to follow. We did despite out confusion.

"Why would you say that? Of course we need an appointment to see him." I question him once outside.

"I know." He replies. "But this is a hospital, for people. We're looking to help a dog. We'll have to see him privately because he's surely not gonna treat a dog in a people's hospital."

I nod slowly. That was actually a smart thing to point out.

"So how do we find him? Do you know where he lives?" Conner asks.

Sean pauses. "I do."

"No you don't." I accuse. "We've never been there."

Sean death stares me. "I said, I do."

I shrug. "Whatever you say, man. Lead the way then."

Sean glares at me a second longer before beginning to exit the parking lot.

I roll my eyes and follow.

I look around over my shoulder at the rest. They all shrug and begin to follow too.

Prepared for a heaping long walk, I was happily surprised that we'd only walked a few blocks before stopping in front of a house.

It was big, brownish with red-outlined windows, and large, vibrant flower and bush bunches lined the tiled gravel sidewalk. It was all framed with well tamed grass.

"How do you know this is it?" I ask.

"While you were in the hospital awhile back, I was in the lobby for awhile and I ended up chatting with Mr. Reyes. He said if we ever needed anything, just come over. I never really thought we'd need to." He explained. "But i guess we do."

He started up the sidewalk. We all stayed on the curb. Im not sure why but I just didn't feel welcome there, and I'm guessing the others felt the same.

He rang the doorbell and the resulting ring could be heard from the street. It was more of a Christmasy jingle than a ring.

Waiting in silence for only a few moments, the door could be heard unlocking before the door swung open. From this angle, we couldn't get a good look at the person, Sean was blocking most of their figure from our view.

Sean turned towards us after a second and waved for someone to go up there with him. He must have been looking at Hunter because when Hunter pointed at himself in confusion, Sean just nodded.

Hunter looked around at us before stepping forward and heading up there with the dog in his hands.

Both boys began to get engaged in a conversation with whoever was at the door. Their words couldn't be heard from here so its not like we were aware of everything said.

After a few moments of this, I got impatient and jogged over to them. Nudging my way in between Hunter and Sean, I see a familiar face in the doorway. Its one of the twins, unfortunately though I'm not sure which one.

None of them acknowledge me right away but I don't mind.

"But can we come in? I understand he's not home but we have no where else to go right now. Can we just wait here?" Sean asks the twin. "That's all we need. We have a dying dog but we can't see a vet. We have no money, you know that. C'mon, man."

When I see the doubt in the twin's eyes, I can't help but butt in. "Please." I say simply.

He looks down at me and smiles just slightly but then it disappears. He looks to the group down the sidewalk. I know he must have seen their dirty faces and tired expressions.

Looking from them to Sean, to Hunter, he finally says, "Just take off your shoes before you come in."