Chapter Eight

Tegan's P.O.V.

The following morning, I was awoken by pounding on my door.  I crawl out of bed and head down to the front door. When I open it, I see four guys with leather gloves and stern expressions on their faces. I am going to assume that they are here to take care of their loved ones in the basement.

They walk in and head straight for the laundry room where the secret door is. Garret walks in behind them and I stand there leaning on the open door.

Me: Is it safe to assume they're here to take care of the bodies?

Garret: Yeah. They're some of the older guys in the pack. They should have it done by the time we are out of school. Oh, and did I forget to tell you?

I look at him in utter confusion.

Me: Forget to tell me what?

Garret: Welcome to the pack!

He pats me on the back.

Me: Yeah, thanks...

Garret: So where's your little sister?

Me: She's upstairs getting ready. Want to stay for breakfast?

He must've been hungry because the next moment, his stomach growled.

Garret: That'd be nice, thanks.

We walk into the kitchen and he sat down at the center island while I pulled out the ingredients for bacon and french toast. I figured that since I have about 45 minutes until we have to leave for school, might as well take my time making breakfast.

Garret: So Tegan, why are you in hiding?

I peek up from looking for a frying pan under the counter. I go back to looking for one after I see the curious look on his face.

Me: Crazy lunatics killed our parents who were trying to keep them away from Tessie and me. I managed to get Tessie and me out of there before they could catch us and kill us too.

I locate a pan and set it on the stove while turning on the burner.

Garret: Why?

Me: Because Tessie and I are the heirs.

Garret: I know that, I meant why would they want to kill you guys?

I opened the package of bacon and slowly laid them in the hot pan. I sigh.

Me: People are power hungry and will do anything to get it. We just happened to have what they want. Do you want some orange juice?

He nods but remains silent. My mind starts to wonder back to when we used to live in the castle. We had uncle Issi, and our two stubborn older cousins Stereo and Lucas. Then there was Lance, Darrek, and Jared. Lance would always play pranks with me on my parents. It was like he and my dad had this huge contest going on to impress the other. I don't know, must be an old man thing. My cousin Stereo would always walk around with her hand in Darreks. They were the perfect mates...

So were my parents. They looked at each other so lovingly and their gazes held such tenderness. I wish I could find something like that.

Then it hits me. I found my mate too! She is just hiding on me. I can't remember what she said but I know it was important. Don't you just hate that?

Tessie: What are you burning Tegan?

OH CRAP! Stupid daydreaming!

I pull the pan off the stove and try to shove the bacon around the frying pan.

Garret: That's okay, I like my bacon a little burnt.

I stood there and glared at the pan with the bacon in it. I dump all of the bacon onto a plate and pad it down with some paper towel to get all the grease off. I start mixing up the batter for the french toast and toss some bread into it.