Chapter Twelve

I woke up to someone talking. When I tried to get a whiff of who was talking, I found there was an old musty smell plus dirt. I crinkled my nose and finally opened my eyes. Standing in front of me are two rogues. Why now of all the times?

I felt someone shift off to my side and turned my head to see Nadia. What happened last night filled my head and she became my first priority. I could handle these rogues on my own but I can't do it on my own while trying to protect her. I immediately mind-linked to Garret.

Me: Hey Garret?

Garret: Mmm?

Me: I found some rogues.

Garret: Okay, I'm awake. Where are you?

Me: At a pond in the middle of the woods.   

Garret: That doesn't really help but I have a feeling I know where you're at. I'll be right there.

I concentrated back on the rogues that moved towards us again. These were not the same type of rogues as Jackson. These were way too far gone.

Rogue One: Hey look who we have here, it's beauty and her beast.

I let out a loud growl in my chest at the fact that he sounded interested in my mate. She's mine. I'm definitely not going to let some nasty rogue lay a hand on her.

Rogue Two: Relax pup, we aren't trying to take your booty call. She's all yours. Don't you think that she would like to stay innocent for her mate though since you pack guys are so big on that?

The rogues sat there and laughed. I hunched down and was ready to pounce on them and rip one of their throats out for thinking that Nadia was some whore. Nadia put her had on my scruff to prevent me from attacking.

When I looked up at her to see if something was wrong, she smiled. I let out a sigh and turned back to the rogues. I bared my teeth at them and stepped a foot closer to them. They looked taken aback for half a second before the one smirked.

I heard something in the background and figured that Garret was probably almost here.

Rogue One: He's so whipped that he won't even attack without command. You must have a passive one here girly. No wonder you can hide him from your mate. We know he isn't your mate because if so, he wouldn't tolerate this.

Before the second one could say anything to add to this guys unwanted comment, I heard Garret through our mind-link.

Garret: I'm heeeere!

Without thinking, my wolf took over and jumped towards the rogue that was closer to me. He had about half a second to look shocked before defending himself. I opened my mouth ready to grab whatever body part of his was in reach and immediately found contact with his leg. I sunk my teeth in as deeply as I could get and started swinging my head back and forth trying to dislodge it.

His screams filled my ears and I suddenly get whacked in the head. Looking up at the rogue, I realize that he just whacked me in the head with a stick. Really? Like that's going to make me let go.

Nadia: Tegan!

I looked at her and saw Garret was hurt. He had the other rogue quickly approaching him and Nadia looked like she was about to shift. I yipped at her and went to attack the rogue that hurt Garret. I don't want Nadia to risk hurting herself, especially since nobody in this pack seems to be that well trained.

The rogue made a mistake at turning his back to me to go after Garret. Before I jumped to attack the rogue, I saw Garret shift back to his human form while he held his stomach. He smirked at the rogue and did a little wave.