Chapter Thirty-Four~Heartbreaking Loss.

-Aurora's POV-

Despite of Christmas nearing, the spirit was not all in the air. It was currently late evening, Ylva was sleeping upstairs and Remus was reading a book in the corner of the room as I watched the snow pour down outside. I was lost in my own thoughts when a loud rushing sound could be heard as if someone had just apparated into the house. A high pitched chorus of sobs could be heard from the kitchen. I looked at Remus cautiously before going to investigate. I switched on the light with my wand to see Kreacher crying on the table. "Kreacher? What are you doing here? What's wrong?" I asked with great concern. "It's all Kreacher's fault... all Kreacher's fault..." He muttered to himself. I sat down on the chair and tried to get him to look at me. "Kreacher? Please tell me what happened, you're really scaring me now. What's upset you so deeply?" I insisted. "It's Master Regulus... Master Regulus... Master Regulus is... gone." He sobbed. I looked at him with confusion. "What do you mean he's gone?" I asked. Kreacher took a deep breath.

"During Master Regulus' service to The Dark Lord, he asked Master Regulus to lend him a house-elf. The Dark Lord wanted to test the magical protections for one his dark magic objects. The Dark Lord ordered Kreacher to drink a potion, and Kreacher did as Kreacher was told. Kreacher suffered greatly when he drank the potion, and Kreacher wanted water to quench the burning thirst that the potion caused him. Kreacher tried to take some from the lake nearby, but he was caught by Inferi, cursed corpses that The Dark Lord had planted there. After Kreacher accomplished The Dark Lord's task, Kreacher Disapparated and told Master Regulus what had happened. Master Regulus was worried, very worried. Master Regulus told Kreacher to stay hidden and not to leave the house. And then... it was a little while later...Master Regulus came to find Kreacher in his cupboard one night, and Master Regulus was strange, not as he usually was, disturbed in his mind...Kreacher could tell...and he asked Kreacher to take him to the cave, the cave where Kreacher had gone with the Dark Lord. He ordered - Kreacher to leave - without him. And he told Kreacher - to go home - and never to tell my Mistress - what he had done - but to destroy - the first locket. And he drank - all the potion - and Kreacher swapped the lockets - and watched... as Master Regulus... was dragged beneath the water.... Kreacher had to tell Mistress Aurora... Kreacher feels lost..." Kreacher wailed.

I felt my heart spiralling into a deep abyss. I felt trapped in a state of depression. I had lost someone dear to me that I could never get back. The beautiful and good brother that my Regulus was was now gone and I felt I was alone in the dark. I felt hopeless. Loss was the worst emotional pain. Everything around me felt meaningless. My mind was fogged up, my eyes felt heavy with tears. My lip was quivering. I tried to hold it back, I tried to swallow back my tears and not show weakness, but my will was too weak. My eyes itched and burnt from holding back my tears and my throat was tight; I could feel a cry starting to form. I wished that I could push my emotions down so deep that I could forget them, but I couldn't. Tears spilt over and flowed down my face like a river escaping a dam. I collapsed to the ground, onto my hands and knees, I gripped my hair with both hands, screaming for Regulus, feeling sharp pains in my heart every time his name escaped my mouth. I felt a comforting arm wrap itself around my torso and and a distant voice reassuring me. I could not bring myself to tune in to what was happening. Regulus was gone. My seventeen year old brother was dead. I never got to say goodbye or tell him I loved him one last time. "Aurora... sweetheart... I'm here... I'm here..." I heard Remus say to me softly. "I've lost him Remus... he finally saw sense and now he's gone forever... forever." I cried weakly. Remus kissed my wet cheek and gently pulled me up from the ground. "I know darling, but you've got to try your best to stay strong, he always admired your bravery. He loved you so much." Remus informed me. I took a deep breath before allowing myself to be held in his arms. An instant feeling of security and reassurance shot through my veins. "I'm going to miss him so much... I want to go to the funeral... I don't care if I have to hide... I'm going to see him being sent off..." I insisted with determination. "Kreacher will tell Mistress Aurora when the funeral is. Kreacher has to return home. Kreacher has to lie to Mistress about how Master Regulus died. Kreacher hopes that Mistress Aurora will remember the happy memories with Master Regulus to help her through this devastating pain." Kreacher said to me. I smiled slightly before kissing his head and watching him Disapparate. Despite of feeling like my heart had been torn, I tried to stay positive for Regulus.