40. Plans

I had to hurry.  I could only be away from her for so long.  I rushed in straight to Grandpap's office, not bothering to be greeted.  Grandpap was sitting in his brown chair, looking down at some paperwork.  It seemed like this man never left this spot. 

He didn't bother to look up at me as I collapsed into one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"Kohle knows."

"And what, exactly does he know?"  Grandpap seemed unconcerned about my frantic voice.

"That I enforced the calling on a human, that I have started a bond with her."

He flipped a page, placing it face down on a small stack and started reading the next.  "What does he want from you?  To keep your secret?"

I leaned forward, placing my elbows on my knees and running a hand roughly over my face and head.  "I don't know.  He didn't ask for anything."

"He's Ruth's twin.  They are both just as evil and manipulative.  Sign over the lounge and get out.  If he didn't ask for anything, then you don't know for sure he knows.  Stay away from him, don't let him find hard proof."  Grandpap was looking right at me now.  His eyes stern and slightly worried for me.  It only put more pressure on me, to keep myself safe, to keep my family out of this.

"I wont be able to avoid him forever.  I took away Ruth and until he can get someone to replace her, he will be gunning for me."  My knee began to bounce with anxiety over my future, my fingers templed in front of me to keep them from shaking.

"Then build your next Bare early.  Convince him not to wait.  It shouldn't be hard.  He doesn't have that much of a gap left in his finances.  Signing over the Lounge won't be enough.  Build the next Bare and let the dust settle.  Delegate someone to touch base in your stead until he is where he needs to be."

I couldn't take it any more.  I got up and began to pace the room.  I needed to get this energy out of me.  I didn't like feeling cornered.  "How long is that going to be?  Fuck I can't.  I can't send anyone else.  I already told him the girl was my p.a. and would take my place if I couldn't make it.  She is too submissive, and too terrified of him."

Grandpap closed his eyes and rubbed circles in his temples, breathing hard.  "Get someone else.  Tell him you killed the girl and get someone else.  It only needs to last a few months."  His hands dropped and landed with a smack on his desk.  The noise was abrupt and I turned to him.  "Where is the girl now?  I know how the calling works."

"In the car asleep.  Richard is watching her."

"How is the anger?"

"Better, and the thirst is less as well."  I dropped down into the chair again, cool against me from my absence.  "I would drain her if she wasn't the thing saving me.  The calling is stronger with a human.  I don't think sharing my blood with a vampire would have worked as well."

"When you are both ready, I would like to meet her, after this is all over."

"How do you know I won't fuck this up.  I have already made a huge shit pile of a problem."  I looked down at my hands, nervous of his answer and wondering how I should act when he has so much faith in me.

"You're a ballsy kid.  You've escaped trial before."