Chapter Four

*Danielle's POV*

I stared in shock as the doors opened and a guy walked out.

"Are any of you infected?" He asked.

"One of us was but he didn't make it." Rick told him.

"You'll still submit to a blood test, that's the price of admission. Oh and if you have anything to bring in do it now because once these doors are closed there is no opening them back up." The guy told us.

"Go inside. I'll get your bag." Daryl told me.

"Thanks." I smiled.

I walked in and waited by the doors until everyone else came in a few minutes later carrying their bags. Daryl handed me mine but didn't say a word.

"Vi please close the street level doors." The guy said and the doors behind us closed.

"I think you should tell us who you are." Rick said.

"Sorry, I forgot my manners. I'm Dr. Edwin Jenner." The guy replied.

"Where's the rest of the staff?" I asked.

"Dead or gone. When the outbreak started they either ran or opted out. There was a rash of suicides." Dr. Jenner replied.

He lead us to an elevator and we started going down.

"Are we underground?" I asked slightly panicked.

"Yes, why? Are you claustrophobic?" Dr. Jenner replied.

"Just a little bit." I said trying to calm myself down.

"Best not to think about it then." Dr. Jenner told me as the doors opened.

He lead us to a lab and one by one we all were in a chair with a butterfly needle in our arm and a vial attached to it. I couldn't count the number of times I practiced that same procedure. I was fairly surprised that it went smoothly.

"You seem like you've done this before. Were you a doctor or a medical student?" Dr. Jenner asked.

"Medical student. I was a psychology major at Agnes Scott College in Decatur with a minor in chemistry with a focus in pre-med." I told him.

"You must have been a busy girl then with all that in your plate." He said taking the needle out of my arm and place a piece of gauze over the small hole.

"I was but it was never overwhelming." I replied standing up.

"I guess I should let you get back to your boyfriend. He's been waiting outside the door the whole time." Dr. Jenner said getting up as well.

"My boyfriend?" I thought to myself as I turned around.

I was shocked to see Daryl standing at the door. I guess I'm not the only one that was starting to develop feelings for somebody.

"Ready Slone?" Daryl asked.

"Yeah." I smirked.

"Hey Doc got any food around here?" Shane asked.

"Yeah, follow me." Dr. Jenner replied.

He lead us to a cafeteria area and went about fixing a meal complete with wine.

"Oh hello Merlot, how I've missed you." I said out loud pouring myself a glass.

"Booyah!" Daryl yelled as he came over to the table with a full bottle to himself.