Chapter Thirty Five

*Danielle's POV*

At first light we loaded up and headed towards Alexandria. I was excited for the possibility of a shower since both Eric and Aaron looked fairly clean.

After a while of driving we stopped, there was a problem with the RV. Turns out it was just the battery so it was an easy fix. We got back on the road and finally pulled up to gates.

"We're here." I whispered.

"Don't get too excited babygirl." Daryl told me.

After a few minutes we all got out and walked towards the gates. I had a grip on Daryl's hand and I was spinning his ring around on his finger. The gates finally opened and we could walk through. Daryl let go of my hand and readied his crossbow. Something knocked a trash can over making Daryl turn and fire. When he retrieved his catch he held up a possum by the tail.

The guy on the other side of the gates looked at us with a strange expression on his face. Daryl decided to be the first one that spoke, "We brought dinner."

I laughed lightly and shook my head, This was the man I had decided to spend the rest of my life with? I guess you can take the man out of the Georgia backwoods but can't take the Georgia backwoods out of the man.

The guy continued to look at us with a weird expression until Aaron said, "It's okay. Come on in, guys."

Glenn and Daryl walked in first with the rest of us behind him. Once we had all walked through the gate it closed behind us making us turn and look at it.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons. Stay, you hand them over." The guy that had gave us the weird looks told us.

"We don't know if we want to stay." Rick told him.

"It's fine, Nicholas." Aaron nodded.

"If we were gonna use them, we would've started already." Rick told Nicholas.

"Let them talk to Deanna first." Aaron said.

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham asked from the back.

"She knows everything you'd wanna know about this place. Rick, why don't you start?" Aaron replied.

We were lead to a house and Rick headed in first. When Rick came back out he was a woman who must haven't been Deanna.

He walked over to us and said, "We're staying."

With that a bin was brought out and we started turning over our weapons.

"They're still your guns. You can check them out whenever you go beyond the wall. But inside here, we store them for safety." Deanna told us.

I gave up my pistol but my bow stayed on my back and my knives stayed strapped around my thigh.

"I'll take Rick to show him the houses. But Daryl and Danielle, Beth and Jon, you will have your own house that I'll show you after you have your interview." Aaron announced.

Daryl and I will have a house all to ourselves? We'd have privacy to do whatever we want as loud as we want? This was paradise.

When it was my turn to go in I was nervous.

"Hello, Danielle." Deanna smiled.

"Hi." I nervously smiled back.

"You don't have to be nervous. I'm just ask you a few questions then you and Daryl can go check out your house. I'm sure you're anxious to start living like a normal married couple." Deanna told me.