Chapter Thirteen

*Danielle's POV*

I had finally managed to get Daryl and myself dressed then out of our tent and to one of the chairs so we could eat breakfast with the others after we had another small round this morning.

"After breakfast I'll need to check those wounds." I told him.

"They're fine. Hershel stitched me up good and he gave me antibiotics so there's no risk of infection." He replied.

"I'll still feel better about them after looking at them myself after last night and this morning." I said.

"I know ya would but ya don't have to." He replied.

I sighed and leaned in close so only he could hear me, "I've already seen your scars so if that's what you're worried about don't be."

I backed away and looked at him but couldn't read the look on his face.

"Fine." He grunted.

I took a seat on the ground next to Daryl just as Carol started passing around breakfast. We all were eating or doing something quietly, until Glenn decided to break the silence.

"Hey guys," He said to get our attention and once he had it he continued, "so, um, the barn is full of walkers."

We all just stopped and my stomach and heart fell to my ankles. We all dropped our plates and ran down to the barn. Shane went over to the door and looked in while Daryl pushed me behind his back.

"You cannot tell me you're all right with this." Shane said to Rick as he walked over to him.

"No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land." Rick replied.

"But this is our lives!" Shane yelled.

"Lower your voice." Glenn told him.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea pitched in.

"It ain't right. Not remotely. We've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just go to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time." Shane said.

"We can't go." Rick cut him off.

"Why, Rick? Why?" Shane asked.

"Because Daryl's injured and Carl isn't fully healed yet." Rick told him.

"That's crap and you know it!" Shane yelled.

"It's not crap!" I yelled for the first time since Glenn broke the news to us.

I was worried that this was leading the fight I figured was coming but it didn't.

"Now let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out." Rick suggested.

"What are you gonna figure out!?" Shane yelled.

"Enough!" I yelled, not being able to take the yelling anymore.

"If we're gonna stay, if we're clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land." Rick said.

"Hershel sees those things in there as people, sick people, his wife, his stepson." Dale told us.

"You knew?" I asked Dale.

"Yesterday I talked to Hershel." Dale replied.

"And you waited the night?" Shane asked him.