Chapter Twenty Nine

*Danielle's POV*

I was getting increasingly more sure that we weren't the only ones that survived. Convincing Daryl of that was the difficult part.

"We have to do something Daryl. We can't be the only ones that made it out." I told him.

He was in one of his silent moods so I knew I wasn't going to get anything out of him but I had to keep trying. The only thing I knew I could use was something I hadn't used since I had to put Merle down.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Daddy, I need you. You have to help me find the others." I whispered in his ear.

He slowly wrapped his arms around my neck and ran his fingers over my neck while doing it.

"Anythin' for ya babygirl." He smirked.

"That's more like it. Come on, let's go wake the other lovebirds up." I smiled.

I gently shook my brother and Beth awake.

"Come on, we gotta go." I told them.

"Go where? We've been wondering the woods for days now." Jonny asked.

"We're going to go find the others. Time to pick up your bed and walk with it Marine." I told him.

"Aye aye." Jonny replied.

He and Beth got up and stretched.

"So what's the plan?" Jonny asked.

"We don't really have one. Our fearless tracker is gonna track and see if we can't find anybody." I told him.

"So more wondering in the woods?" Jonny scoffed.

"It's the only plan we've got, it's not the best plan but it's a plan." I told him.

"I know. I'm just a little tired. I haven't been out here like this in a while." Jonny replied.

"I know. I am too. But it's not like we haven't been out here like this. We're strong and we can survive." I said.

"Yes we are and yes we can. Let's do it." Jonny replied.

We fell in line, me behind Daryl, Beth behind me and Jonny in the back. As we walked I kept one hand on my knife and the other on my stomach. Daryl's tracking lead us to train tracks where a few walkers were. Daryl killed the walkers and we kept walking down the tracks then into the woods when it got dark.

****

It was an endless cycle. Running through the woods, trying to evade walkers and find somewhere to go. We decided to keep going tonight but there was a storm brewing so we needed to find shelter from it. After running from walkers we burst through the woods onto a road. I spotted cars that we could maybe use. I got in one while Beth tried another.

"They won't start." Me and Beth told Daryl and Jonny.

"Get in the trunk. Tie it down." Daryl said.

Me and Daryl climbed in one and he closed the trunk. I watched as he used his red rag to tie it closed and I relaxed some and was fine until the storm started. I had always been terrified of storms and always seemed to go onto Little Space during them which Daryl knew. He cradled me in his arms as best he could while holding his crossbow.