12: Sun Burnt

The sun was starting to peek over the trees that surrounded the Boarding House

The sun was starting to peek over the trees that surrounded the Boarding House. I hadn't mastered the vampire speed, so I was mainly running at a normal pace from the Grill to the Boarding House. The sun hadn't yet covered the whole yard, but it would in little-to-no time.

I finally reached the front door, attempting to open it, but the blood on my hands making it near impossible. "Damnit." I muttered, looking back at the rising sun. I kept attempting to turn the handle, but my hand only spun around it. I groaned, wiping my palms against my jeans, trying to get the blood off my hands.

"Okay, okay, okay." I could start to feel the warmth of the sun on my legs as it rose. I continued trying to open the door, but it was no use; my hands may not have as much blood on them now, but the knob does.

I tried to hold in the scream that came along with the burning, but with that I failed as well. "Damon!" I screamed, pounding on the door. Tears streamed down my cheeks, making the burns hurt worse.

After two more seconds of the door not being open, I ran towards the right side of the house, where the sun wouldn't reach until later this afternoon. My burns slowly started to fade as i hid from the light. "C'mon, Damon." I sigh, trying to listen in the house, but not knowing how to focus my hearing to one point. "Ugh."

I creeped around to the back of the house, to see if I could make it to the back door, but the sun was already nearing it. "Alright, I can figure this out." I looked back at the wall I was hiding against. There were four Windows on the second story, and two on the lower one; those two both in the kitchen. I looked through one of the Windows; it was directly above the counters, besides the alcohol cupboard.

I nodded, knowing that this would be the only way I could get into the house and live. I took a deep breath, standing against the wall, slightly to the right of the window. I held my left arm up, placing my elbow lightly in the center of the window. I took in one last deep breath before pulling my arm from the window and quickly slamming it back into it. Glass shattered across the counters, multiple shards poking out of my arm. Blood started running down my forearm, passing my wrist and dripping off my hand into the dirt below me.

I left the glass in my elbow for now, knowing that when I climbed through the window I'd just get more pieces in my skin. I placed both my hands on the window frame, using my extra strength to pull myself through the window. As expected, glass was now stuck in my palms, stomach, thighs as well as my elbow.

I now stood in the kitchen, covered in my own blood, as well as Chris'. I grabbed a paper towel, setting it on the island as I sat on a bar stool. I started pulling pieces of glass from my body, wincing with each one. It took about twenty minutes to get every piece I could out.

I heard the front door open and shut, as well as three people walk in. I grabbed the paper towel that was covered in the bloody glass, tossed it in the trash before walking out of the kitchen.