36: The Last Day

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
" the last day "

    A knock on the boarding house's front door made me sprint down the stairs, bumping Damon on the way, but not stopping to apologize, or acknowledge his groan

    A knock on the boarding house's front door made me sprint down the stairs, bumping Damon on the way, but not stopping to apologize, or acknowledge his groan. "If that's Elijah, tell him to leave!" Damon yelled without turning towards the door, his gaze stayed on the couch he was walking to.

      "It's not Elijah, but even if it was, I wouldn't tell him to leave." I muttered as I opened the door. Magnolia Stroud stood in front of me, a backpack over her shoulder and a small suitcase on the ground beside her. I wanted to run into her arms and never let go, but I knew that she didn't really remember me yet; so it'd probably be awkward if I did that now. "Hi, Maggie."

      Maggie returned the smile I gave her, but hers was more nervous than mine. She looked like he was going to cry, and it made my eyes water as well. "It feels unreal seeing you in person." She hugged me. It honestly caught me off guard, and I felt bad that my arms didn't immediately wrap around her in return.

      She must've noticed my awkwardness, because she backed away not a second later. "Sorry," she shook her head, wiping a single tear from her eye. "I don't know why I did that. I just- it seemed natural? I don't know."

I felt a presence behind me, and I knew Damon had decided to join the conversation. "Maggie, right? We met a while ago, at the grill. Damon Salvatore, Blair's not-boyfriend." Damon held out his hand, waiting to properly meet Maggie.

Maggie streched out her arm to shake Damon's hand. His head was resting on my shoulder, and his arms around me to firmly shake Maggie's hand with both of his. "Nice to see you again." Maggie smiled, but I knew she didn't remember him if she barely remembered me.

Damon let go of her hand, moving from behind me to my side. He leaned forwards a bit to look at Maggie directly, and before I could stop him, he was compelling her. "We're having a bit of a rough spot here at the Salvatore home, so you're going to go back to where ever you came from and not come back here."

"No," I pushed Damon away and grabbed Maggie's arm to keep her from really leaving. "What the hell are you doing? She's staying."

Damon looked at me as if I was the dumbest person he'd ever laid eyes on. "Do you not remember that she was Klaus' spy? He literally sent her to spy on you and report back to him. It wouldn't shock me if she was still reporting back to him."

"It's not like that this time." I stated through gritted teeth. My hand stayed on Maggie's wrist as she tried to walk away. "Uncompel her now."

"No." He stated quickly, attempting to walk away, but I grabbed his jaw with my free hand.

"Uncompel her, Damon."

"Or what? You'll kill me?" He smirked, shaking his head slightly. "You wouldn't."