38: The Sacrifice 2

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT
" the sacrifice : part two "

      Tyler only followed me for a few miles before turning back at some point. I only knew he wasn't behind me anymore because I could hear the shotgun going off multiple times, as well as Caroline's protests after every shot. Part of me wanted to go back as well, to help out Matt and Caroline, but the selfish part of me took over. The only two things on my mind were Damon's bite and Maggie. Jesus, that's horrible. My sister may be dying tonight, and she isn't even on my list of worries, I thought.

      I finally made it back into town, my clothes and shoes covered in dirt from tripping over one of the logs I attempted to jump over. There was a couple who were probably in there late thirties, early forties, in the park that stared at me with wide eyes as I emerged from the tree line. The man that looked slightly younger out of the two grab his partner's arm in fear, "Should we call the police?" He whispered while his salt-and-peppered second half shook his head.

      The two took slow steps forward, the younger clinging onto the elder's arm still. "Miss," the older called out. "Are you alright?"

      I nodded slowly, trying to wipe away the dried tears , "I'm fine. I was just- going for a run, and I fell. I'm really okay. Thanks, though."

      As the two came closer, the younger's eyes flashed with realization. "You're Blair Gilbert! I knew your father." He called out, almost excitedly, before sadness replaced that. He turned back to his partner and whispering, "Mark, she's Grayson Gilbert's eldest child, the trouble maker. There's a good chance she wasn't just going for a run. I think we should really call the police."

      "I'm not on drugs. As much as I would have rather been out there taking a few pills and finishing a few bottles, I definitely wasn't." I blurted, catching both of their eyes again as I walked towards them. "I'll be honest, I was out there rescuing my friends who were kidnapped by a psychopath - and in the process, a wolf attacked and that's what I was running from. If you two don't want to be mauled to death by said wolf, I suggest you take your little date somewhere indoors."

      Their eyes were still wide. "C'mon, Ethan. She's clearly high. If she were really rescuing her friends, where are they now?" The older of the two, Mark, grabbed Ethan's hand before pulling him out of the park. Once they were out of sight, I pulled my phone from my pocket, planning to call Elena, or one of the Salvatore's.

      "Damn it," I groaned as I threw the dead phone across the park; it definitely shattering wherever it landed. I sped off towards Alaric's apartment.

      "Blair." Katherine spoke, almost sounding shocked. "I didn't expect you to come and see me ever again."

      "I'm here for Klaus." I sighed, "Where is he?"

      Katherine shrugged, "I assume he's at the ritual."

      I shook my head, "why would he be at the ritual? His vampire and werewolf are gone. There's no ritual without them."

      "He had back ups." Katherine tilted her head in confusion. "Did Damon not tell you?

      "I broke my phone. I haven't talked to anyone. Who are the back ups?"

      Katherine genuinely looked regretful. "I'm sorry, Blair."

      My eyes went wide with fear, "What did you do?"

      "I had to. It was me or-," Katherine tried to reason whatever she did.

      "What did you do?!" I screamed, pushing against the barrier that separated us, as if somehow it would break with enough force.