20: Chicago

"Are you sure about this?" Damon asked, rubbing his eyes at the early sun

   "Are you sure about this?" Damon asked, rubbing his eyes at the early sun. It was seven in the morning. Tyler left his house last night around 11PM, and didn't say where he was going, so I went back to the Boarding House and spent the night with Damon.

   "Yeah. I need a little break from Mystic Falls. Magnolia told me I could come up whenever I wanted, and I think it will be good for me. I'll only be gone a few days max." I smiled at him as I pushed my backpack into my backseat, beside my cooler.

   "Did you pack enough blood bags? I don't want you vamping out at the first sight of a human." Damon squinted as he crossed his arms.

   "Yes, I have more than enough." I let out a small laugh, "Don't be mad. I'll be back before you know it. You and I will spend a couple of days together when I get back.  And you can pick what we do in those days. Whether that be staying in bed the whole time, or going out. Okay?"

   "Fine." He let a small smirk grow on his face as he placed his hands on either side of my neck. "Call me when you get to Magnolia's, and I want nightly calls telling me all the sexy things you did."

   "Oh, yes. I'll give you every detail." I smirked back at him as I leaned in to kiss him, neither of us making any noise until we pulled apart. "I've got to go. I want to get there before noon."

   Damon let a small groan out, his breath hitting my lips. "Okay." We gave each other small smiles as I climbed into my car and drove away.

+

   Four hours later, (I am aware that it is a 11 hour drive from Virginia to Illinois, but to speed up everything I changed it to four.)  I was in Chicago, in front of my old apartment building specifically. I didn't tell Maggie that I was coming down. I wanted to surprise her like she did me. My phone died on the drive over, as I used it to listen to music the whole drive. I would have to charge it when I got inside so I could call Damon.

   I grabbed my backpack and locked my car as I climbed out. I took a deep breath as I stood in front of the building. Memories of Maggie and I ran through my head, as well as the memories of Stefan and I. I shook my head quickly before walking through the door. Immediately, I heard my name.

   "Blair Sommers! How dare you come back here without informing me first?!" My eyes followed the voice to behind the front desk. Anthony Cosgrove; the building's owner's son. He had on a navy blue button up shirt with a name tag reading Tony in a fancy font.

   "Hey, Tony." I smiled as I walked up to the desk, "Are you just keeping up the fort until Clark gets off break?"

   "Nope," Tony smiled proud, "Clark got a promotion. He's the manager of the building now, so my dad let me take the roll of concierge. I don't get paid nearly as much as Clark did, but its a job."

   "Good for you." I nodded. Tony was the janitor of the building, originally. He started the job at sixteen, and continued working as the janitor for the next four years. He was now twenty, and obviously upgraded from the janitor position.