18. Stage one

" Come with me." said Hiro.
Shane walks while occasionally glancing at Anna.

***

" She's the perfect bait. Don't you agree, Yu ?" chuckled Harry.
" Yes." said Yuri.

Harry laughs wickedly.

***

" We'll just play a really simple game." said Hiro.
Anna notices a girl sitting on the opposite sofa.

" Hi." Anna smiles while waving at the girl.
The girl replies, " Hello."

" You'll have to steal her money." said Hiro.
" Eh ?!"

" Anything is permitted. Just don't use violence."
" Are we supposed to steal all ten million ?" asked Shane opening the case, revealing 10 million.

" Yes. The limit is two days later. But in the end we will take the money back." said Hiro.
" Huh ?" said Anna confused.

" We will take 10 million back from each of you. If you have 20 million, you will get prize money as much as 10 million. Instead, if you lose your money to your opponent, you'll have to pay 10 million, that will be your debt." said Hiro, " and if you win the first stage, you'll proceed to the second stage."

" The second ?!" said Anna widening her eyes.
"..then what about my father ?"

" We'll release him if you win this stage, as a prize." His gold tooth shines.
" Ah !" said Anna smiling, " Then what if we don't steal each other's money ? That way, we won't have debts, and we can get out from this game !"

" No. If you both do nothing, both players will proceed to the next stage."
" But we won't have debts !"

" At the final stage, whoever loses will face a massive debt."
" But I can withdraw, right ?"

" Losers are eliminated, but winners have to pay half of their winnings if they want to withdraw."
Hiro walks away.

" Do you really understand ?" asked Shane staring at her.
Anna nods after a pause.

***

Time flies.
Shane sat beside Anna.

" Mr. Shane. Can't we just give our money to her ?" asked Anna.
" What are you thinking ?" said Shane without moving his head.

" If we give her our money, she will win. Then when we are asked for money, she'll give us back her winnings. She will proceed to the next stage. We can escape from the game like that !" said Anna smiling.