PROLOGUE

Elle Black lived a happy, comfortable life with her mother, Anne. They lived in a townhouse in London, not far from the Leaky Cauldron. Her best friends, Samantha and Elizabeth, were her neighbors. They all spent their days at one another's houses, playing, talking, and just being kids, with no clue how crazy their lives would become.

The only thing Elle ever cried over was her father. She didn't know his name, or even what he looked like. He was never a part of her life. She wondered if he simply didn't want her or if something horrible had happened to him. If nothing else, that was the one question in life she wanted answered. Her mother always closed up when she asked about him, never allowing Elle to get any of the answers she wanted.

She had her mother's blonde hair. She had stormy grey eyes that she could only assume came from her father.

When Elle went to Hogwarts she was placed into Gryffindor, along with Sammantha and Elizabeth. There she met the Weasley twins.

From their first day of school, Elle, Samantha, Elizabeth, and the twins were the best of friends. They were inseparable. They did everything together, and the girls would yell at the twins if they were doing anything the girls didn't approve of.

For example, in their first year, the girls kept setting off Dungbombs to distract Filch so that the twins could get what they later found out was the Marauders' Map.

In their third year the girls yelled at the twins for throwing snowballs at the back of Professor Quirrel's head. They did find it funny, though, snickering between lectures.

They liked to go down to the Black Lake and tickle the tentacles of the Giant Squid, especially when it was warm and they could all slip off their shoes and wade in the water. Lee Jordan liked to come with them when they did this, and no one objected because Lee was the twins' other best friend and the girls liked his sarcasm.

In their forth year, Elle had to yell at the boys and the other girls, because Fred had rescued a salamander from Care of Magical Creatures and he and the others were trying to find out what would happen if you fed a Filibuster firework to it. Needless to say, Elle was fuming when the salamander whizzed up into the air and began to emit sparks and bangs, whirling around the room until it went into the fireplace.

Elle lectured them and yelled at them, looking so strict that Percy didn't even feel the need to after he had made his way through the crowd to do that very thing.

She also tried to tell them that they were going about cheering up Ginny the wrong way during the Chamber of Secrets fiasco and the petrifications. She told them that making fur or boils grow on themselves and jumping out at her wasn't going to do the trick, but they didn't listen.

She had to admit that it was funny when they would march ahead of Harry, saying "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through," and even joined in. There was no possible way the heir of Slytherin was a Gryffindor, but it was still funny that practically the whole school believed it, so why not make it a joke? Harry seemed to appreciate it, giving them grateful smiles.

Fred would loudly ask Harry who he was going to attack next and George would ward Harry off with garlic, while Elle kept asking to be let in to the whole scheme. Sammy and Betty didn't appreciate that, lecturing the three and glaring at them nearly twenty-four-seven.

The same year, Fred and Elle charmed Percy's prefect badge to say 'pinhead' instead of 'prefect.' They couldn't stop laughing when Percy was asking why everyone was snickering at him, since he hadn't realized his badge was charmed.

When Ginny was taken into the Chamber of Secrets, Fred, George, Ron, Harry, Elle, Sammy, and Betty sat in the corner of the Gryffindor common room, silent. Elle took Fred's hand in hers, and he shot her a grateful look. He held her hand tightly, trying not to think about what could happen to Ginny, or what had already happened to her.

Finally, he couldn't take it anymore, so he and George went up to bed just before sunset. However, Fred bent down and asked Elle to come with him. Not being able to say no to him, Elle obliged. She held him while he tried in vain to sleep.

After Ginny was saved and exams were cancelled, they went home. On the train, Ginny told the group that Percy had a girlfriend and she had walked in on them kissing. Fred had looked like all his birthdays had come at once as he told Ginny that he wouldn't tease Percy about it. Elle had elbowed him, smirking and trying not to laugh.

In the summer before their fifth year it was Elle's idea to charm Percy's Head Boy badge to say "Bighead boy" after he attempted to lecture her, saying "Really, Elle, I thought you had more sense than to follow these two," he said, gesturing to the twins, "into the pranking business! You ought to try being Head Girl. You could probably do it." However, before he could continue Fred rescued her, pulling her away and running down the halls of The Leaky Cauldron.

In their fifth year, it was the girls' idea to give the Marauder's Map to Harry, since they felt sorry for him because he couldn't go to Hogsmeade. Plus, they had had it memorized. They could find their way around the school after curfew without getting caught. They had already found every secret passageway and knew the castle better than the back of their hands.

And so you see, the Weasley twins and Elle, Sammy, and Betty were inseperable.