TWENTY-ONE

We were at the Burrow some months later- the twins, Betty and I that is- when Molly burst into the living room and told us that we were needed at Hogwarts. There's apparently a battle starting. I stood up off the couch, but Fred grabbed my arm.

"Please don't go, Elle."

"I have to, Fred."

"I couldn't stand it if you got hurt again."

"I'll try my best not to. How do you think I would feel if something bad happened to you?"

He dropped his hand and looked to the ground. "I'm going, Fred."

He sighed, "Okay."

I sighed. "Come on, Fred. Let's go."

Everyone stood up and apparated. I think everyone apparated to a different spot, because Fred wasn't with me.

I saw a Death Eater, one I didn't recognize, about to send a curse towards a girl who looked to be a fifth year. I quickly yelled, "Stupefy!" The curse hit the Death Eater square in the chest.

The girl sent an appreciative look at me. I nodded and turned away. I started towards where I imagined Fred would apparate. I went to the Great Hall. I shot spells at various Death Eaters. I was nearly to the Great Hall when a curse hit me. Cuts covered my chest and I felt one on my cheek. The breath was sucked out of my lungs. I collapsed onto my knees. I looked up to the Death Eater that cursed me. Bellatrix Lestrange. She's the only Death Eater who would no doubt know a spell like that.

My hands flew to my chest and by chest I mean the one place men love to look at on a woman.

I looked down and saw that blood was soaking through my shirt. I was gasping. The pain was intense.

I heard the doors to the Great Hall open but I didn't look up. I was still gasping. You would think I was hyperventilating.

"Elle? Elle!"

I looked up and into the familiar blue eyes that belonged to Fred. "Fred," I croaked in between gasps.

His eyes were clouded with worry. I watched as they traveled to my chest and his ears turned a shade of pink. He quickly took action and picked me up gently. He started running.

I think I floated in and out of consciousness on the run to the Hospital Wing.

After what felt like ages, probably because of the intense pain, Fred arrived at the Hospital Wing.

The Wing wasn't busy, as most people were still out fighting. Madame Pomfrey hurried over to us.

"Lay her down on the bed!"

Fred did so, gently I might add.

Madame Pomfrey waved her wand and cut my shirt in half up the front. I probably would've been as red as a tomato if I hadn't lost so much blood already. I looked up to see Fred, a grim look on his face. He was still being a gentleman and looking anywhere but at my chest.

Madame Pomfrey was waving her wand and rubbing a potion over the cuts.

Once she had done everything she could, she brought a plain white shirt out. She instructed Fred to help me put it on. I was still incredibly sore, but much better than I was.

He did as Madame Pomfrey ordered, only he didn't look at me. I looked into his eyes once he was done. He looked sad. "I'm fine, Fred."

Madame Pomfrey walked back over. "The one on your face will not leave a scar, but the ones on your chest will. I've done all I can. As soon as you feel up to it, you may leave."

I nodded and did my best to stand up. I was wobbly, but I didn't want to take up anymore bed space.

I nearly fell again, but Fred caught me and sat me on the bed. He looked into my eyes. "Elle, please rest for a little longer."

The look on his face and in his eyes was enough to make me agree.

He sat down beside me and laid his head on the bed. "I almost lost you again, Elle," he mumbled into the mattress.

I slipped my hand to his chin. I raised his head up so he was looking into my eyes. I don't know why, but I'm feeling somewhat confident.

"You couldn't lose me, Fred. No matter what."

He smiled sadly. "I want to believe that."

"Well then, please believe it." And I bent down and planted a kiss right on his lips. I can't believe I just did that! What made me just do that?

When I pulled away, he had a dazed look on his face. I was getting worried when he stood up and kissed me, but with more passion. I was surprised, but nonetheless I kissed him back. It wasn't one of those kisses in those muggle romance movies or books. It was messy and it definitely wasn't perfect.

He pulled away far too soon when we heard the door burst open.

A man, his face mauled, was being carried in. I quickly got off the bed in alarm. The man had red hair and for a moment I feared that it was one of the Weasleys.

Shit. Not long after, Fleur came in.

That mauled man is Bill.

I went into a sort of hazy disbelief because before I knew it, all the Weasleys were crowded around a bed. I assume Bill is on that bed.

Molly looks simply distraught, there's no hint of the normal disdain she held for Fleur on her face.

I slowly got up and walked over to Fred. I saw the look of sadness on his face and before I knew what I was doing, I laced my fingers with his.

I rubbed his hand with my thumb, in the hopes it brought some comfort to him.

His face did soften and he shot a glance down to me.

Bill looked, well like shit. What happened?

As if he was reading my mind, Fred turned to me. "Fenrir Greyback attacked Bill. Madame Pomfrey and Remus don't think he'll be a... you know."

I nodded. I didn't know what to say, so I simply squeezed his hand.

"Dumbledore... he's dead."

My jaw dropped and my eyes widened. Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of our time, dead?