NINE

Elle's POV
It's time to go back to Hogwarts. I guess Ron and Hermione are the new prefects this year. I'm not really surprised about Hermione, but Ron... I wouldn't have guessed him. Oh, and Fred mentioned once, though I didn't reply, that Mundungus had gotten us the Venomous Tentacula seeds that I had been trying to get before... well, before things went to hell.

Yesterday Mrs. Weasley came in and packed all my things, as she knew I wouldn't. I didn't have the energy or want to speak, so why would I have the energy or want to get up and pack my things? Hell, I didn't even go to Diagon Alley with the others this year to get the two new spellbooks we need. I just laid in bed, numb as I watched Molly amble about my room, folding all my robes and clothes, asking me if there was anything else I wanted packed. I really wanted to say something, I really did, but my mouth just wouldn't open. Instead, I just shook my head. Molly gave me a sad smile, patting my shoulder before she left the room.

On the first of September, I managed to drag myself out of bed. I trudged into the bathroom and put on a black skirt and a plain white t-shirt. I waved my hand, and using non-verbal, wandless magic, charmed my hair up into a ponytail. I slipped on my Vans and walked out of my room, as Fred had already levitated my things to the door. However, I guess he and George weren't as successful with their own things, because their trunks hurtled straight into Ginny and knocked her down two flights of stairs. I took one last look around my room, trying in vain to remember anything that happened this summer before I got that damned letter.

I suppose I look like a robot; no emotion on my face and walking slowly despite the chaos of the house around me. Do I care? No, no I don't. All I want is my mum back. But that's not going to happen, is it? 
-----
We were walking to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. Dad even got to come, as Snuffles of course. Molly wasn't too happy about it, but she knows how Dad can be. I made sure to give Dad a pet before I boarded the train, since he nudged my hand with his nose.

The twins, Sammy, Betty, and I all boarded the train.

"Well, can't stand around chatting all day, we've got business with Lee. See you later," Fred told the Golden Trio before the five of us went down the corridor to the right in search of Lee. Sam and Bets kept ahold of my arms, making sure I stayed with them.

Finally, we found Lee in our normal compartment, all alone. I sat in my normal spot by the window with Fred on the other side of me. I suppose Lee noticed me on his own because he spoke first. "I'm... I'm really sorry about your mum, Elle."

I nodded, "Thanks," I whispered before looking out the window. Every time someone says that to me, my stomach plummets to the ground. Every time I hear that sentence, it's like I'm reliving the day I found out she was killed. My stomach knots, making me feel like I'm going to be sick.

I knew Fred, George, Lee, Betty, and Sammy were all passing worried looks around. I ignored them.

I zoned out. I've been doing that quite a bit lately. I guess that's what happens when you lose your mum. I guess that's what happens when you've been truly broken, when you've lost all hope in humanity. When you don't think things will ever get better.

I was brought back to reality by Fred, "Do you want anything off the trolley, Elle?"

I barely shook my head. I heard Fred sigh and could practically feel the worry and disappointment rolling off him.

I turned back to the window and zoned out, again. Memories of Mum kept swimming through my mind. How we used to paint together, how she would read me a story from The Tales of Beedle the Bard every night before bed when I was little, how she would always be in the kitchen reading the Daily Prophet when I came down for breakfast. Things I would never experience with her again.